Camel questions

LSP_K2

OK, fellas, I need some help here. I'm working on the Hobbycraft 1:32 Sopwith Camel, and have run into a snag. The kit provided wheels are OK I guess, but somewhat overdone. The spokes and lacing look a little too pronounced, so I was wondering if there are any AM wheels for this thing, and Google was of no help at all. Also, I'm curious if the Academy wheels may be any better, as an alternative to the kit wheels.

So far, I'm good with the other items needed; Vector Clerget, Gaspatch Vickers MG's, Barracuda wicker seat(s), and Pheon decals, but at the moment, the wheels seem to be the real weak point.

Thanks a bunch,

There are a set of wheels for the Nieuport 17, but I'm not sure of the dimensions and if they might fit. I believe they were mastered by Derek, here on the forums.... possibly he might have a clue as to their suitability?

http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/product-range/1-32nd-scale-detail-sets/

I would be very reluctant to "borrow" a set of wheels from a WNW Triplane or Pup, but they may be a good choice, just not an "economic" choice as most of those are OOP as well as more expensive originally.

Tnarg

If you are feeling particularly brave, you could try the PART of Poland PE set.

It has PE wheel spokes which are fitted to the tyres of the kit wheels, these having been separated from the wheel covers.

Also offers about a billion other PE parts for the Camel - any piece you could possibly imagine, plus a whole lot more you never even guessed where there.

There are a set of wheels for the Nieuport 17, but I'm not sure of the dimensions and if they might fit. I believe they were mastered by Derek, here on the forums.... possibly he might have a clue as to their suitability?

http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/product-range/1-32nd-scale-detail-sets/

I would be very reluctant to "borrow" a set of wheels from a WNW Triplane or Pup, but they may be a good choice, just not an "economic" choice as most of those are OOP as well as more expensive originally.

Tnarg

Nope, totally different wheel configuration, but thanks anyway, Grant, it was a good thought.

If you are feeling particularly brave, you could try the PART of Poland PE set.

It has PE wheel spokes which are fitted to the tyres of the kit wheels, these having been separated from the wheel covers.

Also offers about a billion other PE parts for the Camel - any piece you could possibly imagine, plus a whole lot more you never even guessed where there.

Not only aware of it, but I reviewed my set back in 2013, but thanks anyway.

Part Sopwith Camel P.E. set

The Academy kit is the old Hobbycraft kit which ended Academy in a lawsuit by Hobbycraft. As far as the wheels, I see little if no difference between the Camel and the SE5a in Osprey Aircraft Of The Aces 45. If they are different, it's not by much. Master Casters makes a fine set of SE5a wheels. I'm sure there were a lot of wheels damaged in landings, and maintenance didn't ponder over which wheels were which, or what prop was what. WnWs kits offer choices of props but not wheels. Maybe because fighters in the RFC and RNFC only had one type of wheel to use.

• 2 weeks later...

It just doesn't make practical sense to have different kinds of wheels, since they come in pairs, and that mechanics would have to look around in their parts for A wheel for a particular aircraft, but I do know that even in war, Governments and Manufacturers can be very stupid. I've seen it. For me, there is a very beautiful SE5a wheel being made and no Camel wheels. And the Camel wheels are lousy, So I will put Se5a, Nieuport, or SPAD wheels on with glue that can easily be taken off or not, until a Camel wheel is made, if they indeed are different. I probably would never notice anyway. Admittedly, I've never been a rivet counter anyway, of course I was a Government worker who believed that Government work was close enough.

The single biggest difference that I'm ware of (and to me, it's considerable), is that the Camel wheel covers were openly laced to the wheel rim, whereas the SE5 wheel covers were not.  As to diameter, they may or may not be close, but I have yet to check that.

Camel wheel

Camel%20wheel%201_zpswj4vsnaa.jpg

SE5 wheel

SE5%20wheel%201_zpsalytqlgr.jpg

Maybe someone like Barracuda might come out with wheels now that WnWs is coming out with the Camel. BTW, I was listening to an interview with Sopwith. After WW1 he closed up most of all his company. He then renamed Sopwith to Hawker. I had wondered why such a big WW1 Company disappeared.

The Sopwith Company itself went bust in 1920 after a number of failed initiatives and when faced with a large tax bill for 'Excess War Profits Duty'. Tommy Sopwith then joined up with Harry Hawker, Fred Sigrist and Bill Eyre, bought what was left of Sopwith, and went on to form what later became Hawker Aircraft.

I would like to point out WNW has kitted the Sopwith Pup which came before the Camel and the Snipe which came after, I am assuming neither used those lace on wheel covers.  Typically the WNW are pretty accurate.  I rely on them over my own, non existent, research when it comes to WWI.  I have built their pup and know it did not have them on the RNAS version I built.  I have not examined the wheels on the Snipe.  So I am gathering this feature is somewhat Unique to the Camel.

In any event I find it interesting that they did this for what must have been a limited period of time.  We don't see visible lace ups on hardly any WWI wheels at least from what I have seen and that mainly relies on looking at WNW kits as well as studying the images they publish for research purposes.  I enjoy looking at those for weathering and other detail matters.