Revell/Hasegawa Spitfire Mk I

DougN

Here is my "Edgar Brooks Tribute" Spitfire.  I was unfortunately more than 25% done when it started, and since my camera is broken, I didn't get any in progress photos, but I wanted to honor the man nonetheless as I always enjoyed his posts.

For my build, I chose the old-ish Revell/Hasegawa Spitfire Mk I/II kit, as I like the shape much better than the new Revell kit, which looks too fat and bloated in the forward fuselage/cockpit area for my personal tastes (not that I can't be made into a nice model).  I rescribed the fuselage (the wings are already engraved), added the outstanding Yahu IP, a resin seat/and exhaust (from Quickboost IIRC), and a few scratch built things like brake lines, some small bits and pieces here and there.  I also had to modify the aerial mast to add the triangle shaped "prong" that is required for an airframe with an aerial wire.  The Eagle-cal decals performed beautifully, and I used Mr Color paints throughout.

I wanted to build a 610 squadron Spitfire for some time, as I've always loved the old Revell kit boxart with DW-K on it.  There were at least 3 different DW-Q airframes during the BoB, so rather than the one suggested by Eagle-cals with the black/white underside, I wanted to model R6891.  This aircraft arrived at the squadron on 11 August 1940, and was flown by Sgt (later Wing Cmdr) Hamlyn when he scored 5 kills in one day 2 weeks later on 24 August 1940.  As the aircraft was obviously new at the time of Hamlyn's 5 kill day, I kept weathering to a minimum.

Here are some pics I took with my iPad (as the camera is still broken):

IMG_0092_zpsfxpzllou.jpg

IMG_0098_zpsebo2dbfb.jpg

IMG_0086a_zpswgpozz7b.jpg

IMG_0055_zpsavonzlqa.jpg

IMG_0074a_zpszgy9evcb.jpg

IMG_0082a_zpsmxqajrai.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doug

Nice build here Doug. I found one of these kits at my local hobby shop for $14.00. I'm tempted to buy it. I read conflicting reports on the new Revell version compared to the old Hasegawa /Revell offering. The decals look the part on your build. Most impressive.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Lovely build, Doug, and impressive photography for an iPad, too! May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Sure Kev, no worries.  It is hard to try to get a decent white balance on the iPad, but these did come out ok :)

Nice build here Doug. I found one of these kits at my local hobby shop for $14.00. I'm tempted to buy it. I read conflicting reports on the new Revell version compared to the old Hasegawa /Revell offering. The decals look the part on your build. Most impressive.

As mentioned, to me, the new tool Revell looks a bit fat/bloated in the nose, and I like the looks of this kit better.  I picked up the Hasegawa Mk Vb boxing at a show today, and plan to build that one as well, as I really did enjoy the build and like the look of the finished model.  I'd recommend going for it, as for that price you get a lot of modeling value per dollar :)

Doug

Exceptional build Doug!  I love those 610 sq markings. For a minute,  I thought you used the ancient Revell kit with the moving parts  but I saw that it was the newer, old kit from Revell.

Edited by Juggernut

Nice job, of a very nice kit, it's a pity they did not new tool the fuselage as well as the wings, but with some rescribing like yours it looks great..

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc