1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

right my lovelies... :)

we are getting very near completion now so I recon maybe one more post after this and it will be ready. 18 months and 1600 pictures later...

most of the major assembly is done and I now have a jig I can place it in either way up to work on what is now left - namely the U/C and the canopy..

starting tonight with the tailfeathers - these had a very diluted wash of tamiya smoke and have now been permanantly fitted...

WIP1588_zpsf5o47ikp.jpg

WIP1589_zpsa8gq6wkz.jpg

WIP1590_zpshtdeinpm.jpg

WIP1591_zpsclaysttd.jpg

..i might dust them a bit as they still look very clean & flat..

..then the exhausts were fitted - you can also see in these how the flory wash gives a little depth to the rivets & skinning...

WIP1593_zpsfio4t36u.jpg

WIP1592_zpssagsaefe.jpg

WIP1595_zpsd293armb.jpg

WIP1594_zpsoyxtpdgx.jpg

lastly on the underside with the exception of the U/C were the front slipper tank mounts - these are the two samll circular things behind the chin intake..

WIP1596_zps8gjiubnl.jpg

..again, a bit more definition from the wash shows all the hard work :)  I have seen pics of really filthy Spits in this area, but will likely leave as is..

WIP1597_zpsbtnmebvk.jpg

..don't know if I covered it before, but the ailerons were also permanently added... here is the underside of one..

WIP1598_zpscpxw8ihk.jpg

..and lastly the fuel filler pipe and cover and the strut behind the rollover bulkhead were added - the cover is just insulating tape, but it looks just like vinyl or rubber or whetever the real one is..

WIP1599_zpsju8zqkvy.jpg

WIP1600_zpslqfbaopm.jpg

..and thats it for now - the next will probably be the last update before it is finished - then it goes in it's case ready for Telford.. :)

I have also been thinking about my next project - haven't decided and might even do a poll to get some help & ideas - one thing I am toying with might be a bit controversial - lets just say it is NMF and gives you wings :)

TTFN and thanks for coming along for the ride

Peter

Peter! I don't know whether to cheer or cry! I'm cheering because this is simply the most stunning model that I've ever seen and all your hard work has truly paid off. Not only that, it's my favourite type bar none! I mean it when I say that the only reason I'm coming to Telford this year is to see this beauty. I'm too skint to go for any other reason!  :rolleyes:

I want to cry because your updates have been my highlight for visiting here. I'm really going to miss the journey we've all been on with you during this build. 

The next NMF build? I think I know what it is....I may have seen the real one at Duxford.....Nice plane, bl**dy awful drink!  :coolio:

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

This has to go down as the most incredible build that I have ever seen on here. It looks like you could open up that filler port, pour in some fuel, and it would fly around the pylons at Reno.  Almost sad to see it finished, but I know the next project will be just as amazing Peter.  *cough,cough,Sea Hornet,cough,cough*

Matt  :frantic: