1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

It seems you haven't forgotten much on the Rhino front either :) That wheel is pretty darn fancy! 

I can't wait to see how awesome your IP is going to look, given your progress so far. 

What thickness of litho plate are you using for most of your brackets/ribs etc? Do you punch or drill out your larger holes (like the lightening ones)? I just can't get past how crisp and clean everything is, even though I know how many hours of work goes into each little part....

Craig

Oh just make a real one for God's sake and get it over with!  :^)

Completely slack jawed looking at all you've created here.

:clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Edited by williamj

evening ladies :)

What thickness of litho plate are you using for most of your brackets/ribs etc? Do you punch or drill out your larger holes (like the lightening ones)? I just can't get past how crisp and clean everything is, even though I know how many hours of work goes into each little part....

Craig

Hi Craig - I think the litho is about 8 thou and most of the holes you see in the bulkheads are actually photo-etch! I had it made in nickel silver so it looks like litho. If I have to make holes I always prefer a punch for a nice clean finish..

..I started the frame that the instrument panel bolts to - frame 8 - again it is a PE sandwich with some plastic stock as a spacer. I also had the ring of rivets made and a strip of paired rivets to go around the inside edge..

WIP142_zpshksbcavz.jpg

WIP143_zpsjhacmcnj.jpg

..I had a look at the panel itself - this is based on the 1/24 version I have coming out in a few weeks...

WIP144_zpsfjoyorvx.jpg

...I started to set out some of the detailing - two brass turned dimmer switches at the bottom, along with a pair of switches for the coil & starter. There are also a couple of raised bezels and a folded gauge for the increased fuel tanks in the FR version..

WIP146_zpsqizfdkmq.jpg

..also started making the oxygen control thing - I made a depression in some plasticine with an allen key and added some dips with a rounded cocktail stick to get a shape I could cast the tiny funny shaped wheel from in resin. There are a couple of glass tubes too so made these with clear stretched sprue.. There is alsoa tiny flap selector about 2mm square..

WIP145_zpsejwjvuo5.jpg

..lastly I tried getting my printer to run off the 1/24 decal master scaled up to 1/18 and printed on clear film - I painted the back an ivory colour and am experimenting with printing on the reverse so it 'glazes itself'.. I may also try doing the needles on a separate layer of film to give some depth..

WIP147_zpsmshongrf.jpg

..and this dry fit is where I am at..

WIP148_zpsi2nkhvpn.jpg

WIP149_zpsfyjbi9gu.jpg

TTFN

Peter