1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

I *may* have found my next subject...

WIP1545_zpsdlkappji.jpg

..big, NMF, well documented, accessible and a legend..

toying with it as Mirek sent me their 1/18 list and I quite like the way it works using their big kit mouldings as a canvas..

P51B or a P38 also interest me... decisions, decisions - I need to stay focused, but I am having a little think about it  :ninja:

Peter

Interesting, but, what about Tigercat? Please!!!   :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

Love the idea of a Jug, one of my faves. I would've hoped you'd chosen something a bit more unique, but I understand the problems that come with that as far as quality documentation. I will be looking forward with baited breath no matter what you choose!

I *may* have found my next subject...

WIP1545_zpsdlkappji.jpg

..big, NMF, well documented, accessible and a legend..

toying with it as Mirek sent me their 1/18 list and I quite like the way it works using their big kit mouldings as a canvas..

P51B or a P38 also interest me... decisions, decisions - I need to stay focused, but I am having a little think about it  :ninja:

Peter

P38 P38 P38 P38!!!

P38 P38 P38 P38!!!

I have to agree. Jugs are OK but they aren't very pretty. A P-38 IS and always will be and if you do the Lightning, I will send you several books as a bribe to do so. Having said that, I know you will do a terrific job no matter what the subject.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

evening folks :)

Interesting, but, what about Tigercat? Please!!!   :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

I know, I know :) I look fondly at it and know I am letting it and everyone down by not going straight back to it - it's a mojo thing, and I guess for now I am just going with what I feel like...   :sorry:

Love the idea of a Jug, one of my faves. I would've hoped you'd chosen something a bit more unique, but I understand the problems that come with that as far as quality documentation. I will be looking forward with baited breath no matter what you choose!

I am with you on that, I am still torn between the ease of having a start point with an HpH kit, and the freedom of doing anything by scratchbuilding - jury is still out on that one..though I have been looking at P38 drawings so haven't made my mind up at all yet!

That looks great.

In wartime Spits, there were heating ducts for the guns that sat at the rear of the radiators and fed warm air to the guns.

I assume they were removed for your version to save weight?

Good spot Don - I missed these and I don't think they are in the montforton book, but certainly the Thai XIV has them - I had a look if I could squeeze them in, but it would be really tough so I am just going to have to live with it..

so, it's all about the little bits at the moment...

I added the castellated nuts (with split pins :)), and the valves with yellow tips to finish off the wheels...

WIP1554_zpsix90zvxj.jpg

sprayed the very bottom brass part of the pitot with alclad, I left the nose brass, not sure if thats right, I will have to check..

WIP1552_zpsfbpeg2ix.jpg

..painted the tailwheel strut, and made the Slipper tank hooks that go under the mid-section..

WIP1546_zpsjcgwiixp.jpg

WIP1547_zpsv7vrrnpd.jpg

..and fitted the hooks..

WIP1553_zpsyo7s4foh.jpg

..also made the tailwheel doors, and though not pictured, the actuating strut assembly..

WIP1549_zpsgaqwehpr.jpg

WIP1548_zpstwouar33.jpg

..dry fitted into place..

WIP1550_zpstq9eed6w.jpg

WIP1551_zpsub3rwq5n.jpg

..next up will be brake lines to finish the gear, then flip it over for the fuel pipe by the seat and the rollover strut...

TTFN

Peter