1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

good morning my friends :)

thank you for your kind words - I really do appreciate anyone dropping in on my funny little world :)

first up is this picture of a Mk XIV...

WIP1301_zpspiyposfh.jpg

..no other reason than I like it - purposeful, beautiful, dramatic, emotive..wonderful...

anyways..

bit more stuff done..

I forgot to take a pic but I needed to do the panel that covers the forward cockpit - from the cockpit door forward to the windshield.. I made a tape template which has the wrap around panel and the cockpit wall - it is short on the side where the cockpit door is..

..the 'U' shaped bit in the middle is the cutout for the windshield - each side of it the cockpit walls..

WIP1293_zpsi8jax9mu.jpg

..it's easier to see once it has been detailed and cut out..

WIP1294_zps7zkfyxv9.jpg

..I fitted it and started to work the surface - this is what it looks like before polishing..

WIP1295_zpsguu4zndq.jpg

WIP1296_zpssbyfmvsh.jpg

WIP1297_zps415exirk.jpg

..with that one fitted. the next panel in the order needed to get the correct one overlaying the other was the one below the cockpit door..I marked it out with a tape template..

WIP1298_zpsmdu9etzx.jpg

..added a quite ordered and distinct rivet pattern to it...

WIP1299_zpsujl5otqh.jpg

,,and then while I was burnishing the back of it before fitting it, I mashed it and kinked it so will have to make it all over again..

WIP1300_zps6vzpujva.jpg

..just to show all is not always well in la-la-land and $hit happens :)

back soon when I have learned to do it properly..

TTFN
Peter

Since you made some sort of dark magic deal to not make mistakes, you probably won't even need that last sheet

I keep telling you guys he's got a Hogwarts diploma hanging above his workbench. The only two things in his tool kit are a wand and Ye Wizard's Booke of Aeronautical Spelles.

Edited by SkyKing

evening folks :)

thanks for your kind words :)

I binned the panel I messed up and re- made it - the complication with this part was actually fitting it as I had already fitted the wing fillet panels so I had to get behind them to slot it into place. This meant I can't use contact adhesive in the normal way as I wouldn't be able to slide the panel behind the fillets when I laid it.

I thought I could tape the panel in place and just use cocktail sticks to hold it away from the fuselage - that way I can slop the glue in behind it and let it dry before pressing it into place..

WIP1302_zpsz7djy9ps.jpg

and the same on the other side..

WIP1303_zpsm8lnmjv3.jpg

WIP1304_zpszvf8ahge.jpg

..in hindsight I should not have laid the fillets until now, but I must have got carried away at the time...

,,once the panels were set down I took it out in the garden to get some natural light pictures...

WIP1305_zpsy7pulkcr.jpg

WIP1306_zpsyffvmlqt.jpg

WIP1307_zpsdxdwxyd5.jpg

WIP1309_zpsoq51zyse.jpg

WIP1311_zpsbwznrfx0.jpg

WIP1308_zpsgwtnmebz.jpg

WIP1310_zps8xagtiyd.jpg

,,not too many more panels to add before the fuselage is complete - the main one is the big one behind the cowl so I need to get looking for references for this mark..

until next time..

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Missed one update and I needed my fix ... Steady as she goes and I am still knee deep in amazement and awe. 

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Well done Peter. Lovely progress. I would have lost interest long along but I love you absolute dedication to completion here.

Looking forward the the actual canopy work. I'm sure you'll do something completely unpredictable! Why? Just because you can! Ha.

Lovely build all the way around. Every update a complete smile. Thanks for sharing this awesome journey with us mortals.

Troy

Nice work on slipping that panel in between Peter.... that would never have worked for me! :) I love the overlap effect you've been able to create here... looks spot on. I've been wondering about your finishing methods once the panels are applied.... I went looking back through your tutorials and couldn't find a mention of it, and please forgive me if you've described it before, but what process do you go through?

Always a treat for the eye :)

Craig

I keep telling myself "one day, when I'm grown up, I will be able to achieve something like this". But honestly, I don't think I'll ever grow up. This level of skill is just mind blowing.

.just to show all is not always well in la-la-land and $hit happens :)

I am so relieved it happens to you as well, Peter. Countless times I have f_§?%§_ed up a part and had to start all over again. But then, I'm just a mere mortal...

Cheers

Rainer