1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Peter you could have masked the whole cockpit off then sanded the majority of the area down, once that was done, you could have unmasked the area around the cockpit and sanded that smaller area down, thus for the majority of it protecting the cockpit from dust.

:)

Edited by TonyT

evening folks :)

I've just watched you do it, and I still don't believe it! How did you do the hinge?

Kev

Hi Kev - thanks for dropping in :) the hinge is made by scoring lines in a strip of litho and then folding it over across the lines & setting the strip into a slot cut into the fuselage so just the scored lines are showing...

How do you do it?

This just gets better and better.

BTW, what is a butt stop?

Hey Don :) well it is many things, but in this particular instance it is what I call a block set at the end of a rail to stop things sliding off the end of it :) In this case the canopy...

Another flawless part Peter! Oh man I would love my external panels to come out looking even half as good as these.... Tell me, how did you make those nice square edges in the "butt stop?"

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig - loving what you are doing with your B17 - I make the hole by drilling all 4 corners and then scoring to join them. Then I get a fine burr and make a hole so I can break out the scored sections :)

Welcome to the forums ungoliat :)

Indeed - thanks for the kind words ungoliat and welcome to LSP - you are going to love it here :)

so, on to whats been happening - I have been a bit slow lately as my day job has changed where I have double the responsibility and double the people for no more money (go figure...) so bouts at the bench have been limited by new demands..

..I needed to start making up the panel on the other side where the camera lens is - you can see here it is on TZ138 - just a window rather than set into a door like the other side...

WIP1269_zps0au97md7.jpg

..again the panel is laid out in tape on the model..

WIP1270_zpsj1ayyytd.jpg

..this is then detailed and the window laid out...

WIP1271_zpsnck47ddl.jpg

..and the panel before being rolled flat to stop all the detail looking 'blown'...

WIP1272_zpsnhanlsum.jpg

...now on to preparing the fuselage to attach the panel - it is masked and hinged to a bit of tape so the positioning is right...

WIP1273_zpsdvrjsuo1.jpg

..after that, the panel sitting below the camera window was prepped..

WIP1274_zps9amxudlp.jpg

..and both attached to the airframe..

WIP1275_zpswed5ktli.jpg

WIP1277_zpsii97c6yn.jpg

WIP1278_zps7g6okpr6.jpg

WIP1279_zps5jbg0qsy.jpg

more panels to come - I have a numbered order to do them in so they overlap in the right way - I also need to just do some more tests as these panels are from a new batch of metal and it seems to be reacting differently to the finishing process, the older stuff seems to polish up to a mirror finish, whereas this is needing a bit more work..

thats it for now...

TTFN

Peter

Wonderful. Keep it up! I hope you adjust to the new stock of litho. It's something to be mindful I guess with scratch that you do not rely on something too unusual, but it's not always a choice. It's a wilderness and lovely too! 

So what are you going to do about the window for the port?, and Idea I would suggest is a small picture of the interior shot through one and then stuck to the model with a window over the top of it. That or paint it darkened and add the window

Edited by TonyT

Peter,

The masking tape on the wings looks terrible.

The wrinkles are all in the wrong place, and don't match. And the ends arent all torn at the same angle.

For craps sake, have a word with yourself man.

Seriously. That's just an abomination.

😉ðŸ˜ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜…😎

Edited by Uilleann