1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Hi Peter,

again, a piece of art. Looks like the outer skin will overlap the cockpit tub, right? I already wondered how you will get a fit of the tub skinning to the fuselage...

CA: Try out loctite 4860 or 4850; it stays flexible and isn´t as brittle as ordinary CA. :)

BTW, what comes once the Spit is finished?! :hmmm: I´d like to see a Hurricane ... :innocent:

Happy modeling,

Bernd.

At least this build is big enough to enable people to climb in and admire all of this gorgeous work in the cockpit. It's simply amazing and I'm glad it all fit nicely!

....But! Three weeks in Florida!!!!

I can't wait that long for an update!!! I'm not sure I'll last. I might just need counselling to get me through it otherwise I will go cold turkey. Is there a Betty Ford clinic for modellers?

Best regards;

Steve

Is it JUST me?? Or do any of you guys feel like, we,  are in Spitfire update withdrawals..... does Peter's vacation in Florida seem to be taking an awfully loooonnnnggg time??  I know he has only been gone a short while, but ................................................................................................sigh.....................................................................................................

Hi folks :)

Ok, I have followed this thread long enough...

Once a source of wonder, now it serves as a constant reminder of my own inadequacies and relative incompetence.  So instead of praising your efforts, I am going to subtly start to undermine them.....so I can begin to shore up whatever is left of my sagging self esteem.

:hmmm: Your cockpit is the wrong color.....and your instruments look dumb.

Haha - that made me laugh Bryan - funny thing is you may be right :)

Sometimes I feel it's necessary to remind myself that what I am looking at is scratch built, but then again, what kit do you know of that looks that amazing out of the box!

Congratulations on a very nerve wracking separation of the sidewall from the jig Peter. I can appreciate the relief you must've had once it was all clear!

What's the difference between your "fancy" litho and your "cheap" litho? Is it a malleability thing?

Spectacular as always Sir!

Craig

Thanks Craig - the 'cheap' litho is from ebay and has already been used in the printing process - I find this means when polished with fine micromesh or wire wool then ink clours like reds and blues can be seen in the hue. Now I use some other stuff from the US which is the natural metal before use..

Hi Peter,

again, a piece of art. Looks like the outer skin will overlap the cockpit tub, right? I already wondered how you will get a fit of the tub skinning to the fuselage...

CA: Try out loctite 4860 or 4850; it stays flexible and isn´t as brittle as ordinary CA. :)

BTW, what comes once the Spit is finished?! :hmmm: I´d like to see a Hurricane ... :innocent:

Happy modeling,

Bernd.

Hi Bernd - I will try that as the stuff I use is very brittle - as for where this goes and what is next, I don't really know - I would like it to go somewhere with real Spitfires - Duxford or Biggin Hill - open to offers really :) as for what's next, it's finishing my F7F Tigercat - even if I wanted to do something else I would never get away with it :coolio:

Is it JUST me?? Or do any of you guys feel like, we,  are in Spitfire update withdrawals..... does Peter's vacation in Florida seem to be taking an awfully loooonnnnggg time??  I know he has only been gone a short while, but ................................................................................................sigh.....................................................................................................

Well... I haven't left yet :) I go on Tuesday so one little update before then...

actually, it's quite a big step forward..

..I needed to get the cockpit complete, so I remade the bottom of the control column and the structure around it after being emailed some great drawings (thanks Don :)), the rudder control cables and a torque tube that goes from the control column back under the seat to an assembly on frame 10 to control the elevators..

WIP1224_zpsm8evxf42.jpg

..also a drop/ferry tank control & release lever - made the housing first and then used a sheet of ali to start making up the pull release handle..

WIP1225_zpsp05h0pqz.jpg

..the finished handle...

WIP1226_zpsrorayrkb.jpg

..and the complete assembly - it was tricky to fit this into the complete cockpit, but it is installed now...

WIP1228_zps1e4qf2km.jpg

..this was the access I has to the bottom of the pod - I added some structural parts that run fore to aft and lots of other bits & bobs..

WIP1227_zpsz0xg3gqo.jpg

..the floor cell had some structure added and was beaten up a bit...

WIP1229_zps1mv69pxj.jpg

..and when happy I had absolutely everything done, the floor was added..

WIP1230_zpsx4kufaek.jpg

..this is it now - done - all I need to be careful about is damage & dust..

WIP1231_zpsgeegyyxp.jpg

WIP1232_zps8jjyqhz2.jpg

..and thankfully it all fits neatly into the fuselage - I have the section of fuselage I removed to bulk some of the contours out, but in some places the tolerances are so fine that it will be just sheet metal skin like the real one that laminate onto the cockpit cell..

WIP1233_zps0jcitqr0.jpg

..once fitted I can start the rest of the skinning and then start worrying about what to do about a canopy - the one I have is reasonably clear, but I have not looked at the shape and afterall it is from a Seafire FR47...

.,.so thats me done - Miami awaits :)

TTFN
Peter

Yeah.................. D U D E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Peter, have you got any idea, how much this kit, now weighs? With all the added goodies, has it increased the weight by a large margin?  I'm curious, I know the legs will support it , but I just wonder how much heavier it is .................... silly I know, but inquiring minds need to know.. LOL!!!!! As ever, you calmed and fulfilled me again, with your up date... Harv and I figure, you should be back from  Miami, so I guess it's too late for you to go, so you may as well stay home and finish this now that it is too late to go to Florida................................... I'm sure Harv will agree..... :rolleyes: