1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

You've got to stop this, Peter.

I sit at my bench and produce something for my model... I sit back and admire my handiwork... I feel proud of what I've done... I log into LSP... I see there's been an update on your Spitfire project... I drool over what you've done... I feel hopelessly inadequate...

This really is getting better and better with each update. It's a total joy to follow.

Tom

I couldn't have put that any better myself.

Derek

thank you chaps - I am always humbled by the kind words you leave for me, to be judged by your peers and betters is a very rewarding experience as I soon learned when I moved from being a lurker to actually putting it out there :)

..you probably feel I am being relentless - post after post, well I apologise, while things go well I kinda like to revel in it - I am sure when things go south I will go a bit quieter :ninja:

..in the meantime the blog continues..

..Undercarriage legs... I want it on its wheels for the Edgar tribute at Telford on the 32SIG stand so it was time to start thinking about how to go about it - now I have a lathe I wanted to turn them from solid brass rod - in hindsight I could have used a metal that was naturally silver but I know little enough about these things as it is..

..I scaled the drawings and marked out where the profile changes - one thing I learned in the 2 or 3 screw ups that were to follow was that this was a waste of time and you have to do this on the work while it is in the tool...

WIP567_zpsvmxifctm.jpg

..I watched a few youtube videos and set about it - one thing I learned early on is that things can bang into each other so extreme care is needed with spinning death just inches away...

here was my first - the profile is good but I cut it too short.. (dummy..) I likely used all the wrong tools and methods but I took most of the material away and finished with files - afterall it's the result that counts right?

WIP568_zpsikc1qcbd.jpg

..soon had a decent one which I wrecked when doing something that I think is a dark art called 'parting off' - this is where you use a tool to cut off the part you made - well mine went horribly wrong and dug in & bent the part so now I just cut them off with a cutting disc until I figure out what I am doing wrong...

WIP569_zpsl27t3zyy.jpg

..once I had a decent leg I drilled out the end to house the oleo strut - I had already drilled the top to slide onto the mount in the wing...

WIP570_zpsphprdcg3.jpg

..I turned an old knife handle to make the oleos hoping they would polish up nicely and was pleased with myself when I had the basic pair :)

WIP571_zpsvzgjbirv.jpg

..the bottom of each leg has an axle mount set at 4 degrees so I drilled some tube and started on them..

WIP572_zpsbmnmqx3m.jpg

..and soldered up and here I am starting to make the hub & brake mounts...

WIP573_zpsntsi9w0v.jpg

..and this is it for the day - I feel happy I have started to learn a new skill (albeit a pricey tool to buy and equip) and can see all sorts of opportunities to use it...

WIP574_zpszjkg3zsx.jpg

..and with the 3D wheels I designed - Kev Payne printed these for me while Tim Perry kindly did the prop spinner..

WIP575_zpsj6phaor7.jpg

WIP576_zpsejuxw3lx.jpg

..thats it for today, all the best

TTFN
Peter

evening my friends :)

well Steve, I suppose I could, but without a 1/18 aeroplane to go with it I am not sure what you would do with it!

while I was fiddling about with the blades, I thought I might just paint the tips as they are quite decorative and looked quite hard to do (I hate painting...)..

..first I printed out a front on view of the blade to get the size, shape and scale of the tip markings and then made a litho template I could use to cut out tamiya tape masks..

..white was to go on first and this is only on the fronts so that was the first mask..

WIP557_zpshqliku8d.jpg

WIP558_zpsbzh7hm9q.jpg

..then I got part way through masking for the red to put that down next when I started to think about how to flat down the masked edges with micro-mesh without getting colour bleed (I did on my Sea Fury when using red) - if it tainted the white it would be immediately obvious so I pulled off all the masking, used 4000 grade wet micro-mesh to just polish out the masked edges and then dipped all the blades in future...

..then I masked and shot the red...

WIP559_zpsp3gzv6e4.jpg

..I repeated the process but before I dipped it for the last time I just brought out a tiny bit of the leading edge sheath - it is very subtle but I am particularly pleased with it...

perhaps you can see the sheath and screws here - I can find no pics of the sheath itself was a different colour, or even brass, the only one I have got that does is it reflecting the light I think (I hope...)

WIP560_zpsaiyoonoi.jpg

..and here they all are completed..

WIP561_zpsfztydevz.jpg

..a bit of fettling and they were a press fit into the hub - it's a pretty big prop...

WIP562_zpsjxzruuib.jpg

..the time invested in getting the blade shape right was satisfying as the fit and tolerances ended up better than I expected....   at least I think it looks like my refs :ninja:

WIP564_zpsk4akpln2.jpg

WIP563_zps0pskplne.jpg

..and in place on the airframe..

WIP566_zpsarg9fx3g.jpg

WIP565_zpsftlfkgr4.jpg

..thats it for now, will have a think about whats next :)

TTFN

Peter

Wow, an early prop Thunderbirds, right?.....Harv