1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Wholly hell, this is good stuff. A quick question that's prolly been answered already (Sorry if so) but how do you attach the ribs to the ceiling, so to speak?

...Guy

you rivet them in with angled brackets

The picture in post 519 you added Peter, ooks like it has a big bulge rivetted into the upper wing skin and the stiffener possibly curves up to it.

tyre area

you mean the wheel well :fight: 

Edited by TonyT

evening folks :)

Wholly hell, this is good stuff. A quick question that's prolly been answered already (Sorry if so) but how do you attach the ribs to the ceiling, so to speak?

...Guy

thanks for stopping by Guy - the ribs are bent as if they were a pressing so there is a flange on the top of each that goes one way, and a tab bent along the bottom going the opposite way - I just cement the tabs at the bottom to fix it

Popped over to have a look and get some pics for you, but no one was in, will try next week, is there anything else you want shots off?

Thanks Tony - I think I would take anything you can get! I know there are a few bits I am not sure about, but won't be working on them for a while. Things like the canopy sliding rails and fittings, the fuel filler behind the seat, the chin intake and whats in the mouth of it... I could go on but like I say, if it's no trouble I will take anything :)

I had an email this morning from Ken who maintains TZ138 in Canada with some pics he took of the rib and wheel well and thankfully it is the type as seen above so I am pleased and can rest easy & just build them now..

thanks to Tony I had some great shots to work from - the most obvious feature is the 'L' shaped flanges that border the cutout for the leg...

WIP360_zpsbhnfw7se.jpg

..I tried making the 'L' section and bending it, that didn't work, I tried making the section and rivetting it, that didn't work either so after trial and error I ended up making a template, rivetting next, bending, then cutting..

WIP361_zpspbzpozee.jpg

..the bending is best done by doing the flat bits first, and then nibbling the corner with flat nose pliers.. this is actually another test part before I worked out to rivet first..

WIP362_zpsvqlgplkm.jpg

..again the fold tool being used, this time to break along scored lines and free the part...

WIP363_zpsq8cx5f99.jpg

..and one of ther finished ribs - this is the face side - once the walls around the tyre are done most of each end won't be seen..

WIP364_zps2adrnqxx.jpg

..and the leg side with some fittings for pipework...

WIP365_zps456f1zga.jpg

..and in place..

WIP366_zpswnexjqdg.jpg

WIP367_zpsvc1xvdqb.jpg

WIP368_zpsa91tg3oi.jpg

..now starting to work out how to do the walls - a test part being developed..

WIP369_zpswjqfcg3a.jpg

thats it for now :)

TTFN

Peter

thank you folks - appreciate you taking the time to leave encouraging comments, or just dropping in to see whats going on :)

I am trying to get the wheel well shapes right, and looking at the real thing the opening where the wheel is has the lower wing skin just folded over for a cm or two and then the lining panels fix to this..

I decided to line the edge with litho to get a nice even working surface..

WIP370_zpslf6w6ljr.jpg

..and then faired this down to skin level..

WIP371_zpsaiqa7hss.jpg

well, as with many things on this build, I wasn't happy with it after some cross checking so needed to do it again. I had printed a scale plan view from the Monforton book onto transparent copier plastic through my home printer - it was a nervous moment as I thought I might break it or the plastic might melt. The ink came out a bit wet, but while I had it I laid it over the wheel openings and they were not right in some places - up to a few mm out and the curves themselves were a bit off.

I slept on it last night and wondered how to sort it out..

I could fill the edges, I could re-line it with some plastic and shape it, then it struck me - why not just use the plan to make the right shape in litho, strengthen it and fair it into the wing..

WIP372_zps0oczr0ie.jpg

..soon after that I had another brain fart and thought it would be better to recess the panel into the wing instead :ninja: ..

I marked out the shape and laid Dyno tape around the borders so it would be a good edge to 'scribe' against - only the scribing was done with a wide flat blade...

WIP373_zpsrydij6ey.jpg

..the P38 filler that makes up the bottom of the wing took the treatment well and I was pleased with how neatly it came out..

WIP374_zps66yqyvdp.jpg

..I put a small square section stock around the hole itself and then faced that with litho too..

WIP375_zpscticgvts.jpg

..they both fitted well and are 100% accurate to plan :)

WIP376_zpsm5oob0ux.jpg

..you can see I also used the plan to set out where the inner wall linings meet the wing top skin and how the circle is offset which creates the angles the walls are set at...

WIP377_zpsh0efgr2j.jpg

..used the bits of plan in the wells as masks and went around the edges with a sharpie so I know where to build to - I also had to reskin one of the well roofs as I had made the litho too short - at the back the walls cant at quite an angle & go quite far backwards..

WIP378_zpscmofimny.jpg

...all I can say is thank goodness for the Monforton book - it makes it like building an old Guillows kit from a plan - just wheel out the drawing and make the parts..

it's going to get complicated now with curved angled walls - but thats for next time..

TTFN
Peter

I must be getting thick in my old age Peter, but I'll really need to re-read and study the photos several times until I understand all that!

I realized I was getting doddery and confused at comment #510 - but hold on, I'll get there!

Eventually.

Edited by Chek

Thanks Tony - I think I would take anything you can get! I know there are a few bits I am not sure about, but won't be working on them for a while. Things like the canopy sliding rails and fittings, the fuel filler behind the seat, the chin intake and whats in the mouth of it... I could go on but like I say, if it's no trouble I will take anything

Will do, I forgot my camera today as I was running late, the intake has a wire mesh up it to stop the big bits going down it, I have the drawings for the lower cowls somewhere.  The 19 does not have the tank behind the seat installed, tails and fittings are easy, I might even have a drawing too.