1/32 scale resin / cottage industry wish list ?

Joe66

Hi All,

Whenever I see the wish list, I know that most folks are thinking in terms of what they wish to have in kit form from an injection kit offering, full blown with decals, details and instructions.

I would be curious to know what people would like or accept from a small maker, i.e; resin kit producer and to what level of detail. There are some wonderful products out there in the resin kit market, but at a cost...sometimes a cost that is out of reach for many. So, my question to all of those who prefer to build in 1/32 scale....

What level of detail and completeness would you consider best for the average modeler for a resin kit offering ? Of course this question is with the understanding that the overall scale, shape and appearance and surface detailing is fairly accurate and the dimensions scale out properly.

Do you want a kit that gives you the ability to build a nice display model out of the box ( that you can add your own details to ) with at least a set of decals and reasonable instructions for around $100 or do you prefer to spend the money ( say $200-250 or more ) neccessary for full interior/exterior detailing,,photo etched parts, optional pieces for variants and so forth ? Of course these prices depend on the size as well as scope of the subject. Even a very basic kit of say a B-29 will certainly not be inexpensive !

With the aforementioned in mind, what sort of kits would people like to see from a resin kit maker ?

Joe

A 1/32 Gloster Javelin cast to a similer standard to the Airfix 1/48 kit with Aires quality cockpits, seats, wheel wells and late double-wall perforated jet pipes would fill a hole in my RAF interceptors theme, since you're asking.

Better yet if it came in at under 150 GBP...

Some stuff listed here

Many things listed in that thread are conversions. I'm curious mainly about what level of detail and completeness is desired for a full kit of a new subject, and what that subject (kit) would be.

Joe

Good question, for me the following are important:-

1/  Overall accurate shape.

2/ Highly detailed cockpits, ejection seats, U/C and airbrake Bays (where appropriate)

3/ Accurate and appropriate weapons / stores loadout.

4/ full depth, seamless intake / exhaust trunking.

5/ Well researched and accurate decals for 1-2 marking options. A big plus would be if the decal sheet also included appropriate markings for the weapons / stores loadout and stencil data for the exterior and interior, U/C legs, cockpit placards, etc.

6/ Accurate and appropriate surface detail! If the real aircraft has raised rivets, strengthening plates and bolt heads, then replicate them on the model. Rivets, bolt heads and quick release fasteners all look different in the real world and, in 1/32nd scale they should replicate the look of the real aircraft, not be represented by lines of pinholes.

7/ Fine and accurate recessed panel lines.

8/ well cast and finished components, there's no point having all the above if the resin parts are warped, full of airbubbles and require hours of sanding, filling and re-shaping.

9/ Appropriate use of materials.

I think that covers the basics, as for subject matter, well, there's a large A-37 Dragonfly / T-37 Tweet shaped hole in my life right now :coolio:!

Depending upon your area of interest, there are so many fascinating subjects out there. You should do what you love, because you probably aren't going to be able to do it for the money. Even Peter Jackson paid his way into the hobby, although many, many of us appreciated that immensely and bought his kits.

Maybe you could try something small, and one that fits in the cracks between the big guys. Tamiya or Hasegawa may not release a Ta-183 or a P-1101, but LEM kits did and are doing the latter one. Those fit into their pattern, so their "sales channel" delivers them customers who might just like the next one which is similar to the last one they did. Ditto with Silver Wings or Lukgraph, you expect a plane from the 1930's from their companies.

I love the Sparrowhawk parasite fighter with yellow wings, but if someone made an XF-85 Goblin parasite fighter, I would just have to have one next to my early versions of the same subject, even if jets are not the most prevalent in my collection. Would anyone else buy it? I hope so, but maybe a Saab J.29 or Draken would sell better. The smaller one could be easier to create and you might actually finish it (assuming you are like me and too slow).

I'd love an SM-55 with the twin hulls that crossed the Atlantic from Italy, but would anyone else buy one? I'd also love a Martin B-10B or a Lockheed Orion (airliner, not the big more modern jet) or any airliner from the 30's in 1/32 scale. I have to doubt that they are on the top of the list for Tamiya or even most resin companies. Even so, Lukgraph released a Boeing biplane from the early 30's, and we have an injected Kingfisher in 1/32 and a whole series of Schneider Trophy racing planes, so dreams do come true.

Love what you make and you will create a thing of beauty. Those who also love it will buy it. Just hope there are enough to keep you having fun at this.

Tnarg

I would like the cottage industry to provide basic detaling sets for interiors such as radio's, seats, levers, any "black" boxes etc. that hasn't been

available yet. That would save me a lot of time scratchbuilding (and although I like to build structures, it's the fiddly bits I really hate).

For example: the TT1083/R1082 and T1154/R115 British sets. Airscale strangely provide the face of the R1155 but not the T1154.

Cees

Tnarg,

One of the reasons I ask is because I like them all...I like the research, I like the design challenge, I like creating scale models and not just 1/32 scale and not just aircraft. I have scratch-built ships, figures, trains, cars, armor and planes along with a broad range of accessories over the years...some just one-off for myself or commissioned and some produced and sold. I have equipment for production of metal, both centrifugal and investment cast, pressure and vacuum, RTV, investment or vulcanized mold making, resin casting, fiberglass work, etc and so on.

Years ago, I produced kits or components for Liberty Model, Imperial Hobby, Tom's Modelworks, Fisher, Copper State, Squadron and many others. I got away from the scale model business for personal reasons, completed a career in Federal law enforcement and retired from that not too long ago, but my passion has always been creating scale miniatures so I am hoping to get back in the game and produce things commercially once again under my own label. Several items are already under development !

Joe

Ask a 100 modellers and you will likely get 100 different replies! I don't make Luftwaffe subjects, never will, but they are extremely popular. There are all the missing Century series fighters, F101, F102, F106, earlier types F89, CF100, all of which would make terrific models. 

I'd release something you are passionate about, that will shine through in your production, and hopefully enough customers will head your way to make it worthwhile.  If you can emulate the best, Silver Wings, Iconicair, Fisher and their ilk, you won't go far wrong.

I hope it pans out for you!

Tim

I might consider a hybrid; take, for example, the Echelon vacform Lightning outfitted with a full suite of Aires resin and a clear resin canopy. A Javelin or Canberra done that way would appeal a great deal. Minimum of metal except for *strong* LG legs and PE etch.

All-resin, no thanks. Too heavy, too expensive, and there are too many great IM plastic kits out there. And, pending the mainstream model, there's plenty to be getting along with. I just hope that full resin kits don't trip up a potential plastic version. For example, I might (in an utterly mad moment) buy a resin Draken; but I'd order 3-4 plastic Drakens, just for starters, in a heartbeat.

In 1/32 I feel resin is better used for corrections, detailing and conversions, e.g. Fisher Meteor gear.

Tony

I might consider a hybrid; take, for example, the Echelon vacform Lightning outfitted with a full suite of Aires resin and a clear resin canopy. A Javelin or Canberra done that way would appeal a great deal. Minimum of metal except for *strong* LG legs and PE etch.

All-resin, no thanks. Too heavy, too expensive, and there are too many great IM plastic kits out there. And, pending the mainstream model, there's plenty to be getting along with. I just hope that full resin kits don't trip up a potential plastic version. For example, I might (in an utterly mad moment) buy a resin Draken; but I'd order 3-4 plastic Drakens, just for starters, in a heartbeat.

In 1/32 I feel resin is better used for corrections, detailing and conversions, e.g. Fisher Meteor gear.

Tony

I actually tend to agree with this, Tony. Full-on resin kits have never been my bag, and for several of the reasons you mentioned. As much as I'd like to see a really nice kit of the Whirlwind (fighter, not helicopter), F-102 and some others, if they were to come out in full resin, I'd still pass, waiting for what I'd hope would be an eventual IM kit of the same thing. I believe you're also correct that resin kits can kill the market, at least to some degree, for the IM folks; this in fact was stated flat out just recently here.

As to conversions, and detail sets, yes, those are always welcome, and with so many kits currently on the market, one has only to take a look at the lists, here's one (what a coincidence), to see where the shortcomings are.

I would buy full kits with the quality attributes mentioned within earlier posts in this thread of Pre-WW2 French float planes; one or two wings.   The Loire 130 comes to mind.  It has been released in 1/72 and 1/48 IRC.  In addition Breget 66n series would also be of interest to me.

Thanks for asking,

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski

Excellent ideas and suggestions....I tend to agree that some subjects, particularly the larger ones are probably not best suited for all resin. I am experimenting with lightweight cloth reinforced ( similiar to, but NOT fiberglass ) wing and fuselage structures for large subjects. However, I will also say that hollow resin structures that I produced years ago are holding up fine with no warpage or sagging. Of course nicely done vac formed large parts are also still an option. Obviously, any or all of these methods can be used alone or together to produce the desire subject. The same holds true for metal parts such as U/C struts...I could make them in a form of white metal / pewter ( all lead free ) or investment cast in brass or nickel silver.

One thing I will tell you about the parts I cast in resin....I do not cast parts on large blocks that must later be cut away or in sheets that need to be trimmed and sanded... I loathe that type of casting ! I have always taken pride in the fact that the castings I do are well aligned for minimal seam cleaning, 99% bubble-free and overall quite similar in appearance to IM parts.

In any event, I hope to have some offerings later this year. I am currently running some production castings in other markets and getting the rest of my shop set up.

Thanks for the input so far...keep it coming.

Joe