Mk V'c' Spitfire converted from Tamiya IX'c'?

Anthony in NZ

The Spitfire V was equipped with various Merlins; Merlin 45, 46, 50, 55.  All of these were derivations of the Merlin XX and as such had single stage two speed superchargers.  So if you wanted a Merlin for such a conversion and have a left over Tamiya Mosquito engine, then this would do the job well, with a change of exhaust.

Sorry, but no.  The 40/50 series Merlins did use the improved supercharger design of the XX, but deleted the 2-speed drive.  The gearbox is shorter than that of the XX series, which was about 4" longer than the original Merlins.  I admit that I don't know how different the gearboxes look, but it shouldn't be hard to find photos of appropriate engines on line.  The carb air intake position and shape was slightly different between the Spit Mk.I/II and Mk.V.

Incidentally, the V Trop's oil cooler just adds a "fishtail" to the back end to help the air flow through.

Thanks gingerbob!  I will look into the visible differences.  Yes I have the drawing for the fishtail mod (looks like it could be done in the field).  My bird is one flown by my old neighbor who turned into a great friend. Johnny Checketts clipped wing LF Vc  with full wrap around D day stripes when he was the Wing CO of 142 wing.  We used to sit around over several cups of tea talking and going through his photo's and Log books.  It was me that found the pic of his Spit on D day with the port u/c leg partially retracted and JM-C chalked on one of the black D Day stripes in his photo album and got it scanned for Ventura's book.

Anyway I digress......thanks for the info!

Ah interesting subject that l am planning on doing once l get all of my pieces together. l have the Hasegawa Mk V in my stash (actually l got three full kits and one fuselage from a lot sale ) so l am going to convert that into a Mk Vc seeing l have it

The best oil cooler is in the recent Revell kit. 

I have the Mk l/ll in the stash and l am going to get Roy's correction parts for it. The left over parts are going to the VC along with the appropriate wing parts from a Tamiya Mk IXc

The Hobbyboss top cowl is less round at the back and a little wider than the Tamiya fuselage so there are some minor fit issues there - though nothing that couldn't be overcome. 

l agree to me the Hobbyboss fuselage looks well FAT! and too square. I have that kit also but tossing the fuselage and replacing it with that spare Hasegawa on l have. Believe it or not it actually fits! So it is going to get modified to suit what l want to do.

Unfortunately while passable, the Hasegawa nose is too slab-sided, lacking the proper horseshoe cross-section in favour of an inverted 'U; interpretation.

I don't have one to check against, but the recently issued Revell MkII is probably a better likeness, or the '60s vintage Mk I.

l didn't think the Hasagawa one was all that bad, better then the Hobbyboss offering and l do have that vintage Mk I and started it but never finished it . l pull it out thinking l can do a better Mk l with this then the newer Mk II. l may still finish it but l need a new lower wing section and the Grey Matter correction for it

I admit that I don't know how different the gearboxes look, but it shouldn't be hard to find photos of appropriate engines on line

Harder then you think. l am debating whether l can convert the spare Mk IX engine back to one used in the Mk l but details on how are hard to find. 

As for my two planned Mk Vs I am going to do it as the scheme in the Hobbyboss kit. My question is are those gun bays actually boxed in or do they have the exposed wing rib details? As for the Mk Vc l am going to do it as a RAAF version called "Down with everything" l just need either the decals out of the 1/48 Special Hobby one to upsize or get a high res scan of one.

Hey if l did not do it my way l would loss the title Hacker which l become accustomed too

Hacker...Now were is that razor saw?

Thanks Andy!

Hacker, I have brought the Brassin Merlins for my Tamiya Mossie, but plan on using one of them in my Spitfire.  If you want I can see if I still have the parts required for an early series (I have recently given some kit parts away).  Let me know

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Andy!

Hacker, I have brought the Brassin Merlins for my Tamiya Mossie, but plan on using one of them in my Spitfire.  If you want I can see if I still have the parts required for an early series (I have recently given some kit parts away).  Let me know

Cheers

Anthony

Always up for spare parts. l may not use them in my spitfire but l do have a Revell mossie l could put them in. 

Hacker