Mk V'c' Spitfire converted from Tamiya IX'c'?

Anthony in NZ

Hi Chek

There is a link on page 2 of this topic, I think Andy found it last time

Lets try this then.......

IMG_0523_zps7nfbm4cq.jpg

Can anyone see that?  Its the oil cooler I am making, thanks to Max 'Mozart' on this forum for providing the Revell cooler for me to rework

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Anyway back to the topic at hand, or it will end up as a WIP.

Now Tamiya has the Mosquito out with the nice early Merlin, I think that modifying/shortening the mounts, and finding a 3 bladed prop basically solves the issue.  You could use a section of the lower cowl to make the oil tank, but the hard part is probably going to be the engine cowls.....

There is another way.  Combine the Revell IX and II; Use the IX upper wings and the outer halves of the lower wings - perhaps cut just outboard of the wheel well - for the Vc.  Use the leftover Mk IX fuselage and Mk II wings (with Mk IX lower centre section)  with an Alley Cat conversion (so long as it fits) for a PR XI.  That's my plan when I get around to it.

Edited by MikeC

I still can't believe Tamiya didn't do a Mk. I and Mk. V.

Or at least one of those.

Or how about a XIV or FR 18?  With a PR19 thrown in for good measure.

Edited by MikeC

Hi Chek

There is a link on page 2 of this topic, I think Andy found it last time

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, but that's not the one I have in mind. The Japanese guy did include his in progress steps of the conversion. If I can happen across it again, I'll post the link. I'm pretty sure it came up when Iain 32 was correcting his Revell Mk II a few years back, by way of an alternative approach.

.....do I have to pay???

No. New accounts are $20 a year so I hear.

I still have an active account but haven't gotten

any emails as of yet. Your old images are active

for a limited time.  https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254-Welcome-to-the-New-Photobucket-

If you can access your old account you can still

download your images (one at a time) : https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us

:shrug:

Now Tamiya has the Mosquito out with the nice early Merlin...

I don't know how faithful the kit parts are, but the Mosquito Merlin is a two-speed (XX generation), so the supercharger won't be right for a Spitfire V.  Me, I'm not big on displaying engines that are designed to be neatly dressed in a cowling, which greatly simplifies the problem.

If you can live with the Revell kits, then a kitbash of II and IX is probably the easiest way to get to a Vc, and you can get both kits for less than you're likely to spend on a resin conversion (plus the kit to graft it onto).

I don't know how faithful the kit parts are, but the Mosquito Merlin is a two-speed (XX generation), so the supercharger won't be right for a Spitfire V.  Me, I'm not big on displaying engines that are designed to be neatly dressed in a cowling, which greatly simplifies the problem.

If you can live with the Revell kits, then a kitbash of II and IX is probably the easiest way to get to a Vc, and you can get both kits for less than you're likely to spend on a resin conversion (plus the kit to graft it onto).

The Spitfire V was equipped with various Merlins; Merlin 45, 46, 50, 55.  All of these were derivations of the Merlin XX and as such had single stage two speed superchargers.  So if you wanted a Merlin for such a conversion and have a left over Tamiya Mosquito engine, then this would do the job well, with a change of exhaust.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike

Johnny Checkets Mk Vc (AB509)had clipped wings. Whether that ment she became an LF with a Merlin 45M or just a std V with clipped wings wont matter I dont think. It seems as though I can use the Tamiya Mosquito engine, as the 45 was a variation of the XX series

I brought some quickboost fishtail exhausts, but the kit they were designed for (cant remember) must have been off as they seem way too small....

Thanks for everyones feedback!!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks Mike

Johnny Checkets Mk Vc (AB509)had clipped wings. Whether that ment she became an LF with a Merlin 45M or just a std V with clipped wings wont matter I dont think. It seems as though I can use the Tamiya Mosquito engine, as the 45 was a variation of the XX series

I brought some quickboost fishtail exhausts, but the kit they were designed for (cant remember) must have been off as they seem way too small....

Thanks for everyones feedback!!

Cheers

Anthony

You'd need to find some exhausts that look like this:

2389-8.jpg

The exhausts on the Mosquito, Spitfire IXc and early Spitfires were all different.  Is that what you mean by the Quickboost exhausts??

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes mate, I brought some Quickboost ones for a Mk V Spitfire (maybe the Hasegawa kit) but clearly the opening is much smaller than the Tamiya one (they should be the same size) and they are much too small

Nice Spit model by the way!

Cheers

Anthony