Trumpeter Bf109K-4...starting anew...

mbrman

Howdy Gents...

I'm starting a new build in the next week or so and just wanted to get some opinions on my choice of paint schemes.  Some of you may have read that my Trumpy Bf109G-10 is on the back burner due to my lack of due diligence in researching my subject.  This time however I want to get things right!  I've chosen Yellow 8 of JG77 and just wanted to get your opinions on the paint and markings.  In my research I've only found one photo and 3 profiles for this bird which are shown below.  This plane is w.n. 330176, which is very close to JG 77's Herbert Hackler's mount with w.n. 330196, also shown.  I'll probably change the callout of RLM 76 for the fuse to the duck egg color, but everything else should be close to the profiles.  Please let me know if you think I'm way off base with what I want to do.  Thanks so much, Guys!

Regards,

Dave

5173890879_5fcf46c01d_b.jpg

2016-03-11%2008.13.03.jpg

2016-03-11%2010.59.16.jpg

2016-03-11%2011.04.42.jpg

d43f5c349aae97d05dde4fa9688a626c.jpg

Edited by mbrman

i would say only '10'get close. The others are just photo interpretations with very little understanding of german cammo practice.

I don't follow kit instructions since acquiring mmp's book on the matter.

Better to look up the typical pattern for the variant, and production block, and go from there.

I like Yellow 10....Very late war colours found there..81..82..76..and the ever controversial pale grey-green.
Should be a bit of fun to paint..that's if Wolf gives you your airbrush back. :unsure:

My word of advice is don't get totally hung up on 100% accuracy - there is no such thing, especially with this subject matter.

An educated guess is the best you can aim for. Consider that Eagle Editions and JaPo can produce profiles of the same aircraft with sometimes big differences in interpretation - now they spend much more time than most of us would researching and often have access to resources we don't. What that says is that even at the 'cutting edge' of camo research there's always an element of making a call based on a bit of instinct and guesswork.

It becomes too easy to research yourself into burn out (ask me how I know). So do enough research to please yourself and then paint it. Maybe that sounds a bit patronising... I'm not sure. I suppose what I'm saying is do the research and enjoy it (I love researching) but don't let it paralyse your model building...

I'll PM you about a bit of research material you may want..

Matt