Trumpeter Bf109G-10...critique my paint please...

mbrman

Hi Everyone...

Long time member but new poster. I'm currently working on my second LSP after building German armor for a couple years. I've recently returned to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus.

I'm working on Trumpeter's 1/32 Bf109G-10 and using the included painting guide and decals to model "white 9" found at Praha-Kbely in 1945. I have my painting mostly done but I don't know if I'm happy with it. Would you guys mind giving me your opinions on my paintjob? I have pretty thick skin so please be honest...thank you! Looking forward to being a more active member of this community! Sorry for the crappy pics...

Dave

20160309_155232.jpg20160309_155242.jpg

Hi

that seems to be nice !!!! in my opinion , the dark shadows of the green colour on the upper wings are too pronounced  , you could lighten  some areas on the grey colour as on the back , on top of the bulges of the wings , everywhere the sun hit the surfaces . The idea is to lighten exposed areas , and make darker unexposed one ( in the shadow)...hope I have been understood .it's my 2 cents opinion

Alain

Thanks for the feedback Alain. I'm thinking you're right in that the post shading is a bit over the top. I was trying to be subtle, but was a bit heavy-handed instead! And I think I will put some highlights on the RLM75. Thanks!

Regatds,

Dave

It seems to me that there isn't enough contrast between the grey and green? And agree that the shading effect is way too strong in the green. Don't have the image of the specific machine, so can't comment on the effect too much otherwise. Many of the very late war machines were- or at least tended to photograph- kind of pale/faded. Especially RLM 75 and 76, which seemed to appear in photos as almost chalky, especially over time. Don't know if the green really had that much yellow in it (but trying to figure colors on a computer screen from a iffy lighted photo is hard) I WAG a slightly "deader" green.

Thanks Steve...I think you're right also. I used Vallejo's Model Air RLM 82 right out out of the bottle to start, but it looked too light so I added some darker 83. Looks like I didn't add quite enough...it looks silly bright!

Dave

First of all, :post1:  and GREAT start on the paint job!

IMHO, the green is too bright, and the shading is a bit heavy-handed as you and the others have stated. 

Would you have an image of the real thing to compare the fuselage pattern and mottling to? Lots of variations possible there, but the mottling seems a bit dense to my eyes. 

Looking forward to more!

D

Edited by D Bellis

Hi D...thanks for the comments. I only have one photo of this aircraft. I also have a few profiles, 2 showing RLM 75 and 82, and another showing RLM 74 AND 75. It's so hard to tell with my limited references. Let me know what you think if you would.

Dave

2016-03-09%2018.19.56.jpgTR02298-3.jpg

Hello

As much as I like the simplicity of using Vallejo paints their shades of RLM are just terrible. Here is my Bf 109K-4 in more or less same colors but with Modell Master paints. Vallejo shades look just to aggressive . As for the fuselage sides i would suggest to irregularly overspray them with highly diluted rlm76 and than spray new mottle with biger blotches of rlm 75/82 also highly diluted so u can slowly build blotches... use 76 to reshape them and soften them as seen on picture u provided...hope this helps a bit 

LD077756_zps3ity19lp.jpg

Hello Dave, first of all, welcome to the forum. 

The colour profile from Trumpeter kit is nonsense to began with. The demarkation line supposed to be sharp ( Regensburg ). What seems to be mottling is actually an exhaust stain. The cross was not black , but the darker colour of the camouflage combo. Most likely the base (lower part ) of the fuselage is this weird green/grey/beige colour, that has no name.

This is out of the bet observation. I will get back to you, just have to dig into my archive and perhaps , get a hold of few LW fanatics . Bear with me please.

I'll be back ( Arnold )   :)

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Martinnfb

Hi martin...

Thanks for all the info you're providing on my build.  There really is no substitute for adequate research I'm finding out!  I've never been a rivet counter, but it would be nice if the manufacturer provided at least something CLOSE in the way of paint and markings!  This build might just be relegated to the shelf until I decide how I want to proceed.  I may just finish it as is and do another proper one to show just how messed up manufacturers can sometimes be!

Any more info on this plane you may have Martin would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Regards,

Dave

Dave, I'd think that what you've got so far is completely salvageable without needing to scrap it and start again.

I'd treat what you have so far as undercoats that will give a nice shaded effect if oversprayed with less bright colours.

Buffing your current paintwork with 1200 or 1600 grade wet'n'dry to polish it up should give you an excellent basis to proceed with.

Hi Dave,

please do not scrap this build.  Maybe just get some set of new decals,an EagleCals for example dedicated to G-10s. Also , this particular "white 9",  is actually  Bf-109G-14/AS. S/N: 78x xxx .

So it seems that Trumpeter screwed up royally , one is G-14AS and another G-10 Erla.

Your paint work is on the good path, I do not dare to criticize , all what is needed are photographs . Then you can adjust your technique to the real thing as close as possible.

I hope that this is not going to discourage you from Gernam Schemes, these are among the most colourful and vibrant out there.

I will check , I may have some G-10 decals in my stash. 

Cheers

Martin