Aligning resin props on the hub

Hello gents,

Any advice to avoid screwing up resin prop?

I'm looking at 2 B-25 AMS resin propellers and I'm a little bit concerned about screwing up the angles when attaching the resin propeller on their hub.

I already put some pins in the prop and bore matching hole in the hub to have a good contact between them.

What bothers me is to find the correct angle and keep it constant from one blade to another.

How do you guys cope with that?

Thanks for any advice you may have

Edited by red Dog

Several companies make jigs for aligning prop blades.  Here's a vendor that sells them:  www.umm-usa.com

Kind of on the spendy side, though.  Theirs for 1/32 kits goes for $48.99.  Maybe somebody else knows of a cheaper alternative.

Jerry Peterson

thanks Jerry,

I had the propmaster in the back of my mind but honestly I'd like to glue them next week-end so it's too late to order

Bill, that's very clever and thanks for the angle :)

Many thanks for posting that picture.

Edited by red Dog

There is one little trick... The hole in the (long thin) base piece must provide a "friction fit" with the spindle attached to the spinner. I had to play a little bit with up/down and degree of rotation. Once I got it in the right spot it was important that it stayed there...

The problem is the same with some IP kits. The big difference is that with plastic glues, you have a lot of time to adjust the angle and make each blade having the same angle. It's more tricky with CA.

If you feel unsafe because of the fast curing of CA, you can use white glue, as a propeller assembly doesn't need to be very strong. So if you're not satisfied you would be able to disassemble it later without destroying anything. If i remember correctly, on one of my last builds, i did not even glued the blades, just put them in the holes, and with a tight fit, they dont move. So i can even change the pitch. :)

I have the 32nd Propmaster from UMM. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made, and WELL worth the money.

It has the ability to align 2,3,4 or 5 bladed props, and is reversable go cover props for twins as well.

I'd say even if you dont use it THIS time, I'd order one anyway......if you do ANY kind of modeling other than OOB, it's worth the money.

Yep I will, I definitely need such tools. Too bad it's not widely available. It seems you can get it only by UMM?

Not sure..............that is where I was lead from the get-go for the propmaster, and the price as well as the site itself (have dealt with them MANY times) were good deals so i went with UMM.

The only issue i can see from your side VS mine is the shipping. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Yep. well I usually order in Us based shops just before coming to the US for my annual business trip in June. So I'll make sure I add this on my Us shopping list :)

Thank you all for your valuable input

Edited by red Dog