Yellow Wings. Forgotten Models.

williamj

Just about finished the wings,and once again it was a longer drive than expected.but they are nice kits,big fun factor.,Decided to re-build the P-26 wings,Have ordered several cockpits from our man Mike West at Lonestar Models  to cut the Build time down,have 5 to do soooo.Can't wait to start painting.

DSCF6914_zpsd1kygmoz.jpg

DSCF6917_zpsmxai36kd.jpg

Great !

Such a total wing area would need at least 1L of yellow paint !

Thanks Rick.... re..paint. I was recently informed by a very reliable modeler here that Tamiya "Camel Yellow" was almost a perfect match.  ??  

Would certainly welcome your opinion on the paint question.

Cheers.

I'm curious to see what this Camel Yellow looks like.

Not sure the Gunze 327 is the good color. Yes it's yellow and not too far, but not perfect either. For my P-6E, i used a custom mix, from memory pure yellow + a few drops of orange. But custom mixes are really not easy for yellow colors, as they look pretty different in the jar and once airbrushed. So, i'd be glad to find a good matching color without having to mix. :)

Good luck !

Tried a patch of Camel Yellow and am quite satisfied that it will pass.  mixing colors for the right shade might compromise the uniformity across 5 aircraft,and matching the inevitable touch ups.

Tamiya Camel Yellow TS-34(tried a patch)..Has a just hint of orange to it,which is what we want(dries gloss and hard as rock)...tried a patch of TS-56 Brilliant Orange,was a bit too orange ..not yellow enough. show some pics later.

Thanks for following along and for any tips and info.

Williamj.

I just made a quick search for TS-34, and yes it looks very good !

b4513344c94c9d63.jpg

mixing colors for the right shade might compromise the uniformity across 5 aircraft,and matching the inevitable touch ups.

Indeed ! That's why i made a lot of that mix and stored it in an empty jar !

I just used it again for my Super Cub. :)

A question for the Yellow Wings experts : I think i already read something that the Navy Chrome yellow was a bit more orange that the Chrome yellow used by the army. Is it correct?

I just made a quick search for TS-34, and yes it looks very good !

b4513344c94c9d63.jpg

Indeed ! That's why i made a lot of that mix and stored it in an empty jar !

I just used it again for my Super Cub. :)

A question for the Yellow Wings experts : I think i already read something that the Navy Chrome yellow was a bit more orange that the Chrome yellow used by the army. Is it correct?

Navy Chrome yellow was a bit more orange that the Chrome yellow used by the army. Is it correcté

​     That has been the debate for a long time...Due to photo conditions at the time who's to say..was told that Chrome Yellow was used throughout.   but  it's a model were painting not something for a museum. so close enough for jazz is fine with me.

PS...Love the Porshe(grat paint job)..and that yellow is what I will be happy with .

I'm curious to see what this Camel Yellow looks like.

Not sure the Gunze 327 is the good color. Yes it's yellow and not too far, but not perfect either. For my P-6E, i used a custom mix, from memory pure yellow + a few drops of orange. But custom mixes are really not easy for yellow colors, as they look pretty different in the jar and once airbrushed. So, i'd be glad to find a good matching color without having to mix. :)

Good luck !

Camel Yellow comes only in a spray bomb; I hate spray cans and the solevent stinks.  I plan to a few test with Gunze 327 and sneak up on a yellow and orange from the Vallejo paint line.   I have color chips to look at from a book on interwar ac colors.

I am not that fussy I was concerned.  I did find a hobby shop in michigan that sells the '327  new Creo line or what ever it is called now

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski

I decant Tam spray cans into a jar..then add a bit (not a lot) of Lacquer thinner in the Iwata cup,mist a light coat over Tamiya fine white primer(polished) and leave it for 5 min.followed by a heavier coat,sometimes two.

That usually does the trick(especially for yellow which never covers well over bare plastic.),,and yes use a mask filter or respirator. 

Edited by williamj

I decant Tam spray cans into a jar..then add a bit (not a lot) of Lacquer thinner,mist a light coat over Tamiya fine white primer(polished) and leave it for 5 min.followed by a heavier coat,sometimes two.

That usually does the trick(especially for yellow which never covers well over bare plastic.),,and yes use a mask filter or respirator.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have decanted earlier in my life. I am in a lacquer avoidance mode.

Rick

Impressive and ambitious project. I will follow with interest and intention to pick up some hints how to build planes from my favourite era. Great progress William, clean and precise scribing. Me likey :)

Cheers

M.