Yellow Wings. Forgotten Models.

williamj

A long time back,more years than I care to mention,we had seriously planned to pay tribute to some early yellow winged aircraft.

Well it's time..Had serious builders block lately and looking at all these wonderful builds of new Mosquitoes,Broncos,new etc.etc. I remembered an idea to build up an F4B-4, P-12E, BF2C-1, P-26A  with the appropriate new engines from Vector(very nice they are) and new decals from "Yellow Wings"(they are top shelf)none of this available when the kits were released long ago,we can today get stuck in to these forgotten models,hopefully kick them up ,it's the best remedy for builders block(for me anyway)

Now the Hasegawa kits really aren't bad at all for the time period,plan on scratching up new cockpits,new windscreens, adding some details,have Radu's flat flying wires etc,

Have started the wings,they unfortunately require more than just cleaning up ...lots of trench filling,sink marks, sculpting,but just about finished that part of it.   So off we go.

Cheer's.. Williamj.

DSCF6909_zpsejk7pp3s.jpg

DSCF6908_zpsosx9vmuf.jpg

DSCF6911_zpszpyxzhxt.jpg

Edited by williamj

Looks like you have done some serious filling... from what I recall some of those wings had quite 'interestingly' chosen joins.. filling while maintaining the fabric effect must have been a challenge...

Word of warning about the decals, not from any experience of mine, but I have heard that some of them don't actually fit their subject kits very well... something to keep an eye out for later down the line.

Matt

And when you want more, Williams Bros' Sparrowhawk, Silver Wings' Curtiss P-6E and Lone Star's conversions all cry out your name. Have fun with these. They are amazing in their colors. Got to love Yellow Wings.

Tnarg

thanks for the response Tnarg..was thinking of Lone Star but didn't Mike say he was shut down?

Might jump on the Silver Wings P-6E, they make superb models,but good luck finding a Sparrow Hawk,tried.

thanks for the response Tnarg..was thinking of Lone Star but didn't Mike say he was shut down?

Might jump on the Silver Wings P-6E, they make superb models,but good luck finding a Sparrow Hawk,tried.

Mike is back in business William........Harv

There are 17 sparrowhawk kits on ebay right now, in the US listing alone. You might get one for $15 to $25. Mike's (Lone Star) interior for that one, the P-26, F4B-4 and BFC-2 are interesting additions, plus he has the conversion for an F11C with the fixed undercarriage from the BFC kit. Don't forget his wing fix and interior for the F3F-3 Revell / Monogram oldie, and cowlings to make the foreign ones from Thai to Cuban to ? Lukgraph picks up where these leave off and we keep getting more good things from the 30's.

Way too much fun, but don't get me started on my trials to make flat rigging tie rods...

I only wish for a Martin B-10B and a pair of Shrikes (A-8 and A-12).

Tnarg

Thanks Tnarg.. Don't do ebay,haven't for a long time,not even a peek.anyone even make flat rigging tie rods?. Stick to these 4 for now,sent Silver Wings an email for their P-6E.

will give Mike a hello re cockpits as well. thanks Harv.

We'll get there.

Edited by williamj

I got some tie rods etched at way too high of a price a few years ago. The trick will be to finish the half done kits on my bench (these same ones) and somehow spring load them so the tie rods don't sag. Differential expansion for metal versus plastic is a pain.

The ones from Radu B are dimensioned for the English planes, but the US planes had a wide variety of widths, all much wider than those. Can you really see them in 1/32 scale? They look as wide as swords. For example, the F4B-4 was one of the easiest to find data on rigging. It used 1/2" thread tie rods almost everywhere. These were 0.732" wide, or about 0.023" / 0.58 mm wide in 1/32 scale. (Note that the number is the thread dimension, not the width of the streamlined section). The Peashooter used two different sizes (1/2" and 3/8" thread), but the Curtiss planes used multiple sizes, all less wide than 1/2" thread.

I could go on (and on) and if anyone has more data on rigging 30's planes, I'd love to hear from them, but you are probably OK if you can simply make it appear to be flat. Stretched sprue is difficult to make with a constant section, but even flat strip might look better than round rigging. Just making a plane with Yellow Wings is a good thing... but then we love to obsess.

Tnarg

Cool ! I'll be following along for sure, and could even join at some stage in a buddy group build.

FWIW, once I have finished tweaking my 3D printer and the designs to make the best use of its capacities, I should have a replacement Wright J 6-9 for the Sparrowhawk available for sale. I have for the time being designed the engine for the Mystery Ship, which had specific heads to the cylinders for the exhausts, but the design of the cylinders for the Sparrowhawk engine with their side rear-facing exhaust ports will be relatively easy.

And like Tnarg, still looking for the right rigging material, although, in fairness, using 0.3 mm round monofilament does not look that out of place on a finished model.

Hubert

Cool ! I'll be following along for sure, and could even join at some stage in a buddy group build.

FWIW, once I have finished tweaking my 3D printer and the designs to make the best use of its capacities, I should have a replacement Wright J 6-9 for the Sparrowhawk available for sale. I have for the time being designed the engine for the Mystery Ship, which had specific heads to the cylinders for the exhausts, but the design of the cylinders for the Sparrowhawk engine with their side rear-facing exhaust ports will be relatively easy.

And like Tnarg, still looking for the right rigging material, although, in fairness, using 0.3 mm round monofilament does not look that out of place on a finished model.

Hubert

Sure...jump in any time....never ever built a Yellow Wing. Can you believe it?