PCM Spitfire Mk.XIVc

Looking every inch, or should that be cm, a Spitfire, lovely paint job David.....and thanks for the tip about the putty! I presume it doesn't leave a waxy mark like some other methods do?

Max

Thank you Max. The panzer putty does not leave any waxy mark on the paint. I don't know what is is made of but it is not wax. It is a black substance that you can model like play-do but if you make a small "sheet" of it, say one mm think and put it on an uneven surface, it will wrap around it after five minutes. I put a small sheet on one of the gun and it wrapped itself around it. I could then remove it easily without lifting paint from the metal barrel so it is not too tacky.

I futured the bird tonight and will decal it tomorrow.

David

Shaka,

I got the Panzer putty from a German webshop: www.dersockelshop.de. I only had good experience with this shop. They currently have it in stock.

David

Thanks! I get the sense the shipping will kill me. I'll look for closer source.

Paint is looking awesome, David. I plan to do to the two tone Tunisia scheme for a Polish bird in honor of my wife being Polish and telling me a WWII Polish joke I had never heard.  I would be interested to know how the Panzer Putty compares to Silly Putty, which I have, and have read about, but have not used under fire yet.

Mixed bag update today. I decaled my spit and made the mistake of starting with the large top roundels and me having not much experience with large decals, I managed to trash the roundels trying to get them to conform to the surface by using too much microsol and not waiting enough between application. It has nothing to do with the decals as they are great. I took my time with the other decals and they worked out very nicely, conforming to the surface and filling the panel lines. I ordered some masks from Maketar and I will eventually paint the top roundels once I received the masks. When the roundels are painted I will add the other decals on the wings. In the meantime some picture of where the build stands.

decals2_zpsmr8g4zic.jpg

decals_zps6nngrn9l.jpg

Noseart_zpsqs6udyit.jpg

SciFi I have never used silly putty so I cannot compare it to Panzer putty. I normally use blue-tack for camo with good result but wanted to try this panzer putty. IMHO it is easier to use than bluetack and much more gentle on the model.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some progress with the Spit. I received today the paint mask from Maketar and they worked a treat. I used Mr. Paint RAF Marking Blue and RAF Marking Red. I love the colors, they look a bit faded compared to the decal but once I weather the bird the difference will not be that stark. I will try to finish it over the week-end. 

roundels_zpsfgfehyys.jpg