*Finished* "Owl" HE 219A-2 W/Nr.290126

FunkyZeit

Long time coming... Finally, I am in a pressure situation to get a project done for the model shows this year, starting somewhere around the end of May. I prefer the pressure! If my goals aren't breathing down my neck, I would keep stalling or starting new projects. I've been researching these aircraft for almost a year. I've built up a small library just in 219 material, my wife and I even took a trip to see "123" at the Udvar-Hazy museum for some "extra" motivation.

image_zpssea4s1ko.jpeg

I've already built the 1/48 Tamiya Uhu as a test model, specifically to try my hand at the Wellenmuster Camouflage. The results were decent in 48 scale, but it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted. So with my lessons learned I will try again on the big 219.

image_zps1ochrvfh.jpeg

The kit in question is the 1/32 Zoukei Mura HE 219A-0.

image_zpsd7g2ztbg.jpeg

I'm sure if you have any interest in these aircraft, you've read the reviews on the kit. I'll give a quick overview of what I've experienced, as "supplied kit" reviewers can sometimes miss the nit picks we all tend to have. First and foremost: this is a beautiful kit, full of amazing detail and lots of parts! (more on the parts) The parts fit together nicely, and the overall detail compared to real life are good enough for most. Conversely, the kit is grossly over-engineered, there are sub assemblies for sub assemblies for sub assemblies. Anyone who has built a Dragon kit will know what I'm talking about. There are more injector nibs than parts in the kit which creates for a lots of sanding and paring - prepare to put lots of Xacto blades into your thumb! Following ZM's desire to mold all the extra tiny parts and cables - you'll find a LOT of flash on these parts, specifically the oil and fuel lines and usually on parts too hard to manipulate - beware! Lastly, the instructions need to be baby-sat, this model was designed and dissected from the Udvar-Hazy example as it was undergoing restoration, so be very careful with the color call-out for certain areas of the machine (specifically the engine) - other than some errors in the instructions, they are probably the best instruction layouts I've encountered.

I will be trying my best to represent the aircraft in question to the best of my ability. I've already run into a few areas where scratch building will be required as the kit plainly did not include a part for the area, some are pretty obvious areas as well. This kit has already pushed me into trying new techniques, and learning new skills - which I appreciate.

So please, stay tuned

Justin

Edited by FunkyZeit

Guest Peterpools

Hi Justin

Way to go as I was wondering when the moment would finally happen! :innocent:  I'll be following and taking notes every step of the way, as my ZM 219 sits waiting it's turn much later this year. I have no doubts your Uhu is going to be a Gold Masterpiece..

Looking forward to a wonderful build

Keep 'em coming

peter

thanks harv! Glad you're in!

Hi Justin

Way to go as I was wondering when the moment would finally happen! :innocent:  I'll be following and taking notes every step of the way, as my ZM 219 sits waiting it's turn much later this year. I have no doubts your Uhu is going to be a Gold Masterpiece..

Looking forward to a wonderful build

Keep 'em coming

peter

Pete! I have almost 15 hours invested already in building this kit, I will be posting some photos soon once the assemblies are complete (or where it would be beneficial to show the work). Also, I will send you some of the material I have and my notes sometime after I have this all glued together. So don't buy any more books as I likely already have them.

Edited by FunkyZeit

Guest Peterpools

HI Justin

Can't wait to see your progress and looking forward to the research arterial and information down the road for my build later on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Quick update..

I've put the rear fuselage mostly together and it lined up decently. I still needed to super glue and sand a few nasty steps that occurred while putting it together. After they were all sanded up, I tried my hand at rescribing the lost panel lines and afterward I added some rivets. This kit does not come with any rivets on the fuselage so I used my 1mil rosie tool to add some. Some of the runs took place over hardened super glue and a small pin was used to deepen them. The nice thing about the rosie tool is that it pushes up a little pit of plastic on each rivet to add a very slight 3rd dimension (as they would be in real life). When I saw the 219 in person, the majority of the rivets were flush and sanded with just a very faint profile but; I didn't want to leave this whole area bare.

image_zpsmzyfpb4t.jpeg

image_zpsfcaroafn.jpeg

Some skips of the scribe tool can be seen on some areas and they were glued over and sanded back down. So any errant runs that you may see are totally flush, it's just the wash underneath that you're seeing.

The cockpit is also nearly complete, I just need to modify the Ultracast seats and scratch build an ejection seat rack for them. ZM did not include this bulkhead, and it's quite apparent when you look into the cockpit.

Stay tuned!

Justin

Edited by FunkyZeit