PT Boat 365 Elco from Pt109 and Pt-596 in 1/35

Vandy 1 VX 4

Danny,

After looking at the work you've done so far and the great detail, am I have been inspired to work on my WWI Subchaser. I am pouring over ref photos this morning and hope that once I start the physical build, I can be anywhere close to your level of workmanship !

The kit is the Dumas SC-1 class model....very very basic....gives a decent hull, but most topside items will need to be scratchbuilt.

Thanks for sharing your project and motivating me for mine.

Joe

Thanks for the coments gentlemen.

Joe I know of the Dumas SC-1 in 1/32. I was looking at purchasing it to make a little diorama with the felixstowe F.2a from Wingnut wings. I was going to use one of the verlinden rowboats with some Sailors rowing to the felixstowe from the sub chaser. You may want to look into shapeways.com 3D printing for extra parts on the sub casher. It's really hard using their search engine but take your time you may find something. If you're going to do a build. I like to see it, so let me know please.

I will tell you that I'm playing with two ideas....

1. A Ship-shape, straight up WWI US Navy version ( something from the Puget Sound Navy Yard )

Or

2. A post war Rum runner ( several of these boats were purchased surplus and used for that purpose ) , and included in a diorama.

Decisions decisions !

Joe

PS - I have a Felixstowe as well, and let me tell you, if used with a 3' long Sub Chaser....that ain't no "little diorama" as you put it..... :)

Edited by Joe66

So Joe you got the little diorama joke.

On that subject you got to do a Rum Runner too. Put the little Dory from Verlinden. With a few crates of Canadian Mist. With all the crates out there in 1/35 resin. The alcohol bottles is a must. Come on Joe you gotta do both of them now. That's too great of an idea to pass up.

20170205_203255_zpsjmgt4j6e.jpg

These are the rockets 4.5 inch rockets that come in the kit. But the launchers are 5 inch rocket launchers. So one of the Ammo boxes will be closed ( The right one ). The left  ammo box will be open. So I cut out the 4.5 inch rockets out and scratch built the rest of the box floor plus one side.  The rocket ammo is on the way!!!!  I will use a 122MM Russian round with a straight casing. Just cut the back off the casing and it will look just about right. :innocent:

5 Inch (130mm) spin stabilized rocket that I have to modified from the Brass 122 MM rounds. So 8mm in 1/35th should not be seen :hmmm:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIcfqISpqSPEOielKa2-Fj5GFs2QPtPIJzJ_oQrPMR_Y5nJ_r1pg

4.5 Rocket launcher as the ammo is in the kit.  Some PT boats did carry this type of launcher. But few did and most were in the ETO

http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Weapons/T45_ARL.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliantly done!  I got the Vosper MTB for my birthday.   You are providing inspiration, though I'm currently waiting around for a PE set to arrive from Hong Kong...

Tim W.

Thank you very much Tim for the compliment

I like to see your build of the Vosper.

Check into shapeways.com they may have additional Parts done in 3D printing it's kind of hard using their search engine but just type in Vosper MTB and see what happens