cockpit knobs and switches

wwesley

There are some good cockpit placard decals out there to simulate switch names and such, and  as you suggested, stretched sprue works well - If you take some rectangle profile sprue and stretch it, the square/rectangle profile remains, and you can get some cool tall switches from it.

Here is the dash from my KHM B-25J with just such stretch sprue switches. You can see them on the lower section of the pilots half of the IP, as well as some on the center console -

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01031.jpg

HTH

A method I use is to stretch some sprue to required thickness, then carefully move a cut end towards a candle flame.

With care (it may burst into flame the first couple of attempts) the end will roll back into a ball.

It's fairly easy to control once you've got the hang of it, so producing four identical knobs for, say a bomber's throttle panel is easily done.

The melted ball can also be pressed against a flat surface and trimmed to make one hand operated twin-jet throttles etc., or T-shaped pull handles or pressed through a suitable template for other shapes.

Edited by Chek

Plastruct makes extruded rod in. 010 and .015 diameters, which is useful for knobs. However, you normally have to special order it. Copper wire is a good choice for switches; it's more ductile in short lengths than brass is. Only disadvantage is its  well, copper-coloured.

-d-

I use the Waldron punches for knobs. Sometimes punch colored plastic. Punch out decals. Many sources for instrument gauges etc. There are nice looking PE placards too. This is a nice trend.

Ricks

Edited by Rick Griewski

What are insect pins? Are they for pinning subjects in a frame? Where do you buy these?

I believe they are used to stick thru dead bugs into a board for display? Here are the ones I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Insect-Mounting-Pins-size-000-/201064299242?hash=item2ed05dbaea:g:X7AAAOxyjxlTN16l

I just snip the long pins with wire cutters and they fit into drilled holes with the smallest bit I have...