Marcel111

F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Guest Peterpools

Marcel

Simply outstanding ... your weathering is light and so well done, it's just one element of a perfect finish.

The lights just knock me out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thx guys!

I have a quick question on the wheels: I thought the outside of the wide wheels were a dark gray color, but on p. 74 of the Daco Phantom book the F-4J/S outside wheel is white. So I am a little confused.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel most pics i see the outside of the main wheels are dark colour, it is possible when new they were white but with the heat, wear and tear over time they went dark.

Jari 

That's a beautiful paint job, on flawless detailing work. It's great to see models of this level coming together, as I don't get to see it happen at this level on my desk! Great job.

Thanks guys!

Marcel most pics i see the outside of the main wheels are dark colour, it is possible when new they were white but with the heat, wear and tear over time they went dark.

Jari 

Jari, that's what I also thought, that pic shows a pretty worn F-4J/S with definitely white wheels. I will scan and show here when back at home (travelling right now).

I did touch base with Heater, he also likes how things are coming together. "Wow. Phenomenal work!!!" was one comment, now that really is motivation!

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

that pic shows a pretty worn F-4J/S with definitely white wheels. 

Are you sure it isn't a museum piece?  The DACO books often use museum jets for reference material, and they often aren't representative of an in-service jet.

Marcel here is one that has some white on it:

do a google image search for "F-4J carrier landing" and you'll find one or two others with white, or looked white at one time, but most look dark. Here are some F-4Bs:

compare 205 with 110 main wheels:

Jari

When we were doing the research on the F-4J/S wheels, I talked to a couple guys who worked both tire shop and the F-4J. They mentioned that there were main wheels were painted black on the NAVY/Marine F-4s, but later they were primarily painted white; more so for  the F-4S. Most photos the F-4 main wheels are in dark shade and/or are so dirty from the brake disc dust collecting on the Moly grease that they look black. Not saying all the F-4S wheels are white, but the few I've seen at AMARC and other "non museum" aircraft have been  white. 

Mike V

11b458fe79aedcbfcb7232e2627b5388.jpg