F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Marcel111

Thanks guys!

Marcel most pics i see the outside of the main wheels are dark colour, it is possible when new they were white but with the heat, wear and tear over time they went dark.

Jari 

Jari, that's what I also thought, that pic shows a pretty worn F-4J/S with definitely white wheels. I will scan and show here when back at home (travelling right now).

I did touch base with Heater, he also likes how things are coming together. "Wow. Phenomenal work!!!" was one comment, now that really is motivation!

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

that pic shows a pretty worn F-4J/S with definitely white wheels. 

Are you sure it isn't a museum piece?  The DACO books often use museum jets for reference material, and they often aren't representative of an in-service jet.

Marcel here is one that has some white on it:

do a google image search for "F-4J carrier landing" and you'll find one or two others with white, or looked white at one time, but most look dark. Here are some F-4Bs:

compare 205 with 110 main wheels:

Jari

When we were doing the research on the F-4J/S wheels, I talked to a couple guys who worked both tire shop and the F-4J. They mentioned that there were main wheels were painted black on the NAVY/Marine F-4s, but later they were primarily painted white; more so for  the F-4S. Most photos the F-4 main wheels are in dark shade and/or are so dirty from the brake disc dust collecting on the Moly grease that they look black. Not saying all the F-4S wheels are white, but the few I've seen at AMARC and other "non museum" aircraft have been  white. 

Mike V

11b458fe79aedcbfcb7232e2627b5388.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys! Hardly getting any modelling time in, life is just too busy. 

Have made some progress though, the most noteworthy of which is getting the J-79s in. A pretty nerve-wracking procedure imo, the exhausts need to be placed perfectly without scratching the nice Alclad finish and most importantly, with the constant risk of the nozzles breaking from the afterburner sections as they are prodded to fit. And of course there should be (virtually) no gaps at the exhaust/airframe interface. Fortunately, these Sierra Hotel resin beauties are perfectly made, the fit is just spot-on.

DSC_0178%204_zpskev0l5nq.jpg

And symmetrical too...

DSC_0180_zpsqald0nip.jpg

Note heat-discoloration of probe...

DSC_0177%203_zpsrgdeqask.jpg

DSC_0175%204_zpsovlk9cmm.jpg

If you are wondering what that thing is to the upper left of the above pic, here is a close-up:

DSC_0176%205_zpsorlik7vf.jpg

I really don't like the way my rear IP turned out so I am fiddling around with strategically placing a map.

Cheers,

Marcel

Guest Peterpools

Marcel

Wonderful progress for sure; the J79 exhausts : perfect and the map - fantastic idea.

Keep 'em coming

Peter