F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Marcel111

Thx guys!

Nice work Marcel, especially the cut out gap on the leading edge of the horizontal stabs. Very tricky and delicate work I'm sure.

Cheers,
Chuck

Thx... yes, it's pretty difficult getting that right and I am not entirely happy with the result. I'm looking forward to all of those promised new-tool Phantoms having that issue addressed.

And I'm looking forward to that next project of the F-16's, they'll be something to watch.

Thx... yes, I am now really pumper about that build, hard to keep focus on the S.

Cheers,

Marcel

Here is a bit of work that I've been doing on the tail. Chuck first mentioned the large washers to be found on the alligator section in his legendary F-4E build... here is what they look like:

DSCN9087_zps34cd9451.jpg

I replicated these on my F-4E Chico build using Scale Hardware washers. I have done the same thing here again:

Unfortunately, I am just short of a few washers and the Scale Hardware site seems to be down, bummer.

I have added a few additional details... also notice the two small holes for fitting those protruding tubes later on.

DSC_0174_zpsmzgsikvw.jpg

I am not using the Eduard update set this time around, looking at my F-4E build I really cannot say where those tiny details are anyway so I thought I'd go a little lean.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS I finally figured out what my next project will be. I will be doing a blue F-16 double build, namely the very familiar Alaska blue-camo'd F-16C in parallel to a more exotic NSAWC F-16B in the blue splinter camo. 

We call those "Dimple washers" and nice work replicating them.

Mike

I have scratched the slime lights this time around, on my Chico build I used the Eduard renditions but they somehow just don't look right, I think it's because the real things have more of a rough look to them, at least when worn (which would be appropriate for my very late-in-life F-4S):

DSCN9104_zpspzknvavt.jpg

DSCN9066_zpsyrtkfya2.jpg

DSCN9212_zps5bhqxw3n.jpg

Here is my work:

DSC_0173%203_zpshmtedzwz.jpg

DSC_0174%202_zps4yzexuwl.jpg

DSC_0175%202_zpsjmuptbr3.jpg

I may still need to sand them a little more to reduce the profile.

Cheers,

Marcel

It's the first bad-weather weekend we have had in a while (and it also unfortunately means the end of summer), so that and a stomach virus are keeping me at home so that I am getting a bunch of modelling in.

Here is some work on the c/l tank (refer to page 6 of this thread for a detailed discussion of the anti-sway mechanisms):

DSC_0179_zpstycvhdeu.jpg

DSC_0177_zpsnd75jrbq.jpg

Note the reinforcement plates. The brace was done using sclae hardware washers and bolts.

DSC_0176_zpstcqqddkk.jpg

I used the Revell tank for this, somebody kindly donated me a spare tank a few years ago. The Revell tank is of the type that has a slight notch at the end, which I frequently see on pics of S's. Unfortunately, it seems more slender than the Tamiya tank at the back, so I have had to somewhat oversize the rear fins to make them engage those fold-out braces at the back.

The real fins:

DSCN9092_zps51bfyp8a.jpg

DSC_0178_zpsavi9g2s7.jpg

Here is how the fins should engage those fold-outs:

DSC_0173%202_zps3zogrzwp.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thanks for the very motivational comments!

For my Growler build, I used red and blue clear acetate to replicate the position lights. Comparing the Growler with my Hornet build, where I used the kit clear parts and painted those with Tamiya clear red and blue, the acetate just looks better. So I thought I'd do the same on this Phantom:

This how it is done... cut out a tight-fitting and otherwise oversize block of acetate and superglue in (I added a strip of Al foil behind the acetate to act as a reflector):

DSC_0173%204_zps7slix9gx.jpg

And simply sand flush.

DSC_0178%202_zpswyftgxkb.jpg

It all takes less time than fitting and painting the kit part would. The pitot tubes are from Master, they are beautifully done.

Here is an overall view of the underside.

DSC_0174%204_zpse7c4xezz.jpg

Note the white panels.

DSC_0176%202_zpszb18ripi.jpg

The long panels on the outside wings are very apparent on the pic of the exact airframe I am building, see http://www.cloud9photography.us/US-Squadrons-USMC/US-Marine-Corps-Fighter-Attack/VMFA-112-COWBOYS-pictures/i-5MMv3S5/A. They are also shown to good effect in the Daco Navy Phantom book.

Also note those little blocks added by the underside of a slat actuator on the leading edge.

Ordinarily, all the raised panel patches of the Tamiya Phantom should be removed, and that is what I did with my Chico build. I did also remove some of the patches on this build, but since this is a very late-life F-4S, I thought it appropriate to leave some patches on and add some patches on the underside.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

• 2 months later...

Wow, time flies, it's been forever since I posted an update on this, so here goes:

DSC_0177%202_zpsesr3yhtw.jpg

DSC_0174%205_zpsq8vzhipg.jpg

DSC_0173%205_zpsveaf22cz.jpg

Since taking the above pics, I have spent a bunch of time cleaning things up. Ben, in case you are reading this, you'll be pleased to read that I did end up filling in those many very deep "rivets". Instead, I added rivets along the outer panel. Also, that pretty hard edge on the leading edge of the slat has been significantly softened.

Not getting much modelling time but I am off Thursday and Friday so I am hoping on making some major inroads, will post some more pics then.

Cheers,

Marcel