F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Marcel111

That does look much more like it Gary. Apologies for my earlier assumption that the parts must have been incorrect.

The more I look at your photos, the more I'm thinking that they are sufficiently different to the USAF type slats

to warrant a place on my Phantom Phlightline.

That does look much more like it Gary. Apologies for my earlier assumption that the parts must have been incorrect.

The more I look at your photos, the more I'm thinking that they are sufficiently different to the USAF type slats

to warrant a place on my Phantom Phlightline.

No worries Chek, and thanks for the kind words. I always assumed that the E and S set up was the same, but is it really two completely different set ups that share some parts. Your pictures really helped, and I want to thank Ben for his photos that were made available to us when our kit was designed, along with the ones I took. IT really helped to have an F-4S in the flesh 10 miles away that I could get close up and personal with.

Have a great day!

Edited by ghatherly

Hey Marcel,

No worries, if you need any new inner slats or other parts let me know.   Safe travels.

Gary

Gary, thanks again for all of your effort in clarifying this! Apologies for any stress this may have caused and also my abstract communication over the week (been plugging 16 hour days at a conference in Atlanta so have been pretty thin on time).

Cheers,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to save the lower the inner wings! I broke off the previously glued in slats, thinking I have nothing to lose. They broke off pretty cleanly.

I then rebuilt the leading edge section around the slat with white plastic card so that the resin would get a good seat. The fuselarge is dry-fitted:

DSC_0118%202_zpsu975mfpp.jpg

DSC_0119%202_zpszsynthdv.jpg

DSC_0120%202_zpsxiduzrfc.jpg

And here's the resin fitted. What appears like gaps are filled with superglue. Everything is pretty smooth and correct-looking at this point, although some panel line scribing will of course be required.

DSC_0143_zps07ijmmqd.jpg

DSC_0142_zpssfcwzbaa.jpg

DSC_0144_zpsuvp3mqzl.jpg

DSC_0145_zpsr9bsam4l.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

I always LOVE a save in modeling, mostly because I screw up at least 1 or 2 things in every build.   Great job!

Tip, if you haven't done so already.  Cover that CA glue fill with a dark wash to check for imperfections and bubbles.  It will save you a ton of work later if there's a boo-boo to be fixed now.

Cheers,

Chuck

A Great save Marcel! Throwing in the towel on this would be to easy, and my impression of you is you are not that easily defeated. And to quote a funny movie "I just want you to know, we're all counting on you". :)

Just " Don't call me Shirley "

Nice recovery Marcel. Can't wait to see more progress on your build.

Carl

Thx guys!

Chuck, good thing you reminded me to use wash. I was planning on spraying the assembly with Tamiya primer as a check but using wash makes a lot more sense that this stage.

Here's a question to guys that worked around the S when it was in service. I have noticed that on the Sierras I have photographed (in museums etc) the belly tank is braced using the anti-sway braces usually used for weapons carriage from the centerline pylon, and not the tail fin supporting fold-out mechanism usually associated with the belly tank. Here is what I mean:

20150125_133415_zpsyvwnyljo.jpg

DSCN9090_zps4rrwjhis.jpg

Since I have seen this on two separate Sierras and I cannot imagine that anyone did this arrangement just for storage at the museum, am I correct in assuming that this is at least at times the way the belly tank was braced late in the service life of the S? I hope so, since I would prefer to do this arrangement on my S.

Cheers,

Marcel

Guest Peterpools

Marcel

Nice save for sure. Always nice to see how to correct and fix our mistakes.

I've always thought when it comes to modeling; my middle name: Screw Up.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Here's a question to guys that worked around the S when it was in service. I have noticed that on the Sierras I have photographed (in museums etc) the belly tank is braced using the anti-sway braces usually used for weapons carriage from the centerline pylon, and not the tail fin supporting fold-out mechanism usually associated with the belly tank. Here is what I mean:

20150125_133415_zpsyvwnyljo.jpg

DSCN9090_zps4rrwjhis.jpg

Since I have seen this on two separate Sierras and I cannot imagine that anyone did this arrangement just for storage at the museum, am I correct in assuming that this is at least at times the way the belly tank was braced late in the service life of the S? I hope so, since I would prefer to do this arrangement on my S.

Cheers,

Marcel

When in doubt - ask an expert.

No, not me but the legendary Bill Spidle, provider of many, many WA's for the model community going back decades and on the restoration team of QF-4S 153821 'Scooby'. Bill also took the trouble to photograph almost every step of the process. Some of his back catalogue of work can be found at http://www.primeportal.net/photo_home/bill_spidle_home.htm    I'm sure many will recognise his name or moniker Bill S from various forums too.

Anyway, here's the relevant part of Bill's reply verbatim, which will settle the matter.

"Both the fin restraint fittings and sway braces were used on the QF-4N and QF-4S aircraft.

As a side note the centerline tanks had welded on plates where the sway braces contacted the tank to prevent against wear related damage and leaks.

The photos you sent in the email are incorrectly installed as the fin restraint fittings are not in use.

You can see the paint scratches on the fins in the bottom photo".

​I don't believe it's extrapolating too far to assume that what applies to the QF-4S is also true for the straight F-4S given the lateness of its debut.

The tank would therefore be presently configured for static display, not for flight.

Edited by Chek

When in doubt - ask an expert.

No, not me but the legendary Bill Spidle, provider of many, many WA's for the model community going back decades and on the restoration team of QF-4S 153821 'Scooby'. Bill also took the trouble to photograph almost every step of the process. Some of his back catalogue of work can be found at http://www.primeportal.net/photo_home/bill_spidle_home.htm    I'm sure many will recognise his name or moniker Bill S from various forums too.

Anyway, here's the relevant part of Bill's reply verbatim, which will settle the matter.

"Both the fin restraint fittings and sway braces were used on the QF-4N and QF-4S aircraft.

As a side note the centerline tanks had welded on plates where the sway braces contacted the tank to prevent against wear related damage and leaks.

The photos you sent in the email are incorrectly installed as the fin restraint fittings are not in use.

You can see the paint scratches on the fins in the bottom photo".

​I don't believe it's extrapolating too far to assume that what applies to the QF-4S is also true for the straight F-4S given the lateness of its debut.

The tank would therefore be presently configured for static display, not for flight.

Thx Chek, that is very useful. I hadn't noticed those plates on the tank before, that certainly indicates that the sway brace attachment was thought through and not just a random event. I wonder why it became necessary to brace the tank at both the fins and the center of the tank when that wasn't previously required.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thx Chek, that is very useful. I hadn't noticed those plates on the tank before, that certainly indicates that the sway brace attachment was thought through and not just a random event. I wonder why it became necessary to brace the tank at both the fins and the center of the tank when that wasn't previously required.

Cheers,

Marcel

Good question Marcel.

I'd be inclined to think that just as the USAF Phantoms adopted the F-15's 'hi-speed' centreline tank around the same period, that the Navy adaptation allowed a similar improved combat flight envelope with their available tank fitted.

But I'll pass your question on to Bill.

Or he may reply directly as he tells me he has applied to join the forum, it's just taking a while to get through admin.

But I'll pass your question on to Bill.

Or he may reply directly as he tells me he has applied to join the forum, it's just taking a while to get through admin.

The only outstanding registration in the validation queue is for someone called Graeme; there's no Bill there.

Kev