Brief explanation and our questions for LSP projects

TANMODEL

Dear forum members and our friends;

As you all know, we released our 1/48 RF-84F kit to foreign market on January and we received many positive feedback. First batch of our kit sold out in 20 days and new batch will be ready for distribution in about 45 days with minor corrections and changes.

We've been preparing for 1/32 scale Northrop F-5A, F-5B and T-38 Talon (with sub-versions) for some time. We started detail stage on the design. Our RF-84F kit contained some surprises. Of course we are again preparing some surprises for 32 scale lovers that they never saw. But today, I am writing your for another reason….

We, being modelers, enable us to think like your. However, from F-5A project forward, we want to establish an infrastructure for other 1/32 scale projects we plan to actualize. We want to produce kits that your know what you will receive when you purchase a TANMODEL kit.

Therefore, we would like to learn your ideas and comments. So what are these, what do we think, what do your think?

What we offer to you when you purchase a TANMODEL kit:

1. Scale and shape accuracy
  2. A kit design with reasonable number of parts that will get you to the result with ease
  3. Providing all possible versions in the same box
  4. Providing decal options of versions
  5. Providing operational ammunition parts (Bombs – Missiles etc.)
  6. Providing access doors part separately (like our RF-84F kit) – Not all doors
  7. Providing engine parts visible from inside the Intake and Nozzle

Brief explanation and questions:

For 2nd article: When your purchase 1/32 scale kit, does number of parts affect your decision to buy? Does it have to be 300+ parts?

For 7th article: Does having engine parts with the kits affect your decision to buy? Are you willing to build the parts that will not be visible once you close the fuselage? If your answer is “Yesâ€, do you prefer engine parts (possible ones) or a kit that has all versions in the same box?

For us, answers of these questions are obvious. But maybe we are wrong? In short, your opinions are very important for us and we will produce the kits in accordance with your answers. TANMODEL listens to your and will manufacture for your.

We did not update our web site but versions that will be in the box for F-111 are determined. We will give A and E versions. We took this decision several months ago together with our modeler friends who supported us. The reason for A and E is production conditions. We wish to release F-111 project by the end of this year.

We are preparing for 1/32 scale of an aircraft that was never mentioned in your request list. We think the reason your never taught about this aircraft is that there are several 1/48 scale kits of it. This project will be released before F-111 (and maybe before F-4E).

Thank you in advance for your answers and suggestions. We will reply to your comments on Monday – we will arrange the box content according to your feedback.

Best regards,

Baris TANSOY

Owner of TANMODEL

No need for a full engine, unless it's a radial.

And I like your approach of closed panels with an inside score to open them only if one wants it (which is not my case)

Detail what is visible on an aircraft on the ground, cockpits, gear bays, intakes and exhausts, and that is largely enough :)

Hubert

Hi Baris,

I'm with Hubert: I like to show the lines of the aircraft, and am not keen on open panels, so the approach on the RF-84F is ideal imo.  An open canopy option is great though.  I'm also lazy, so I don't build detail that won't show.

You say "When your purchase 1/32 scale kit, does number of parts affect your decision to buy? Does it have to be 300+ parts?"  For me, no.  Parts count does not influence me.  What does influence me to buy is subject, quality, good fit, reasonable accuracy, and interesting decal options - but that not so much, as I often go aftermarket.

But then, I'm only one modeller, others may have different wants.

No need for a full engine, unless it's a radial.

And I like your approach of closed panels with an inside score to open them only if one wants it (which is not my case)

Detail what is visible on an aircraft on the ground, cockpits, gear bays, intakes and exhausts, and that is largely enough :)

Hubert

YES to all of that.     I too VERY much like the all closed panels approach with scoring around those same panels for those who want to open them up. 

Its always easier to open up closed panels than to close open ones IMHO. (MOST of the time

As long as parts are detailed, we don't need 300 parts. Closed access panels scored on inside. Detailed pit, wheel wells, smooth intakes. Weapons would be nice, as long as detail is good......Harv

It is absolutely essential that the model be accurate in shapes and outline. All the details in the world will not help a model that does not look like the intended subject.

2. A kit design with reasonable number of parts that will get you to the result with ease

Personally, I would rather not have to assemble 3 parts when 1 part would have sufficed.

Nice, but not a requirement.

Decals for the each of versions in the kit would be nice. 

I do not usually use the bombs & missles, but many modelers do.

I MUCH PREFER no open access panels. Too much hassle to build the model with them closed.

Whatever can be seen down the intake trunk and the exhaust nozzle and nothing else, please.

Thanks for asking us modelers what we would like to see in your kits! :)

D

Also in agreement with all the above suggestions.  It's really great that you are here asking these questions, because we love to be part of a project like this. 

Can I add a suggestion?  Number 3 & 4.  Take note of what other kit manufacturers are doing.  For example with your T-38 kit I have been waiting on for so long, kit it in several versions.  Produce a trainer kit, a Thunderbird's kit and a NASA kit. Focus research on one version to get things on the market sooner. Just like Tamiya has done with the F-16 kit. They have a C/J kit and "had" a Thunderbird kit.

Hasegawa has the A-4 out in several versions also. Blue Angels and then the other kits, to include the Trainer version.

Just some food for thought.

-Im a bit odd here, if it looks like the subject from all angles and isn't noticeably 'off' Im ok with it.

-Parts count makes no difference to me

-Depends on the subject, usually I buy based on subject first and kit markings second. There is always aftermarket

-Yes this I do care about

- Makes no difference to me

- I LOVE the approach you took with the RF-84F

- This is important. I include ducting, turbine face, burner holder and "jet pipe" in this.

Best of luck Baris - I think you have all the right objectives. Moderate parts count, outline accuracy, and visible detail like engine nozzles and cockpit, wheel wells.

F-111A/E is a very exciting project. Thank you for making this happen !

I am intrigued by the mystery project; if it's an RF-4E Photo-Phantom that would be delightful ! Any hints as to what ?

Tony