Kitty Hawk Models T-28 B/D Trojan *FINISHED*

Out2gtcha

I managed to get a lot of little things finished off that I needed to, like the lower wing landing lights, and in this case, the cowl vents:

DSC05677.jpg

DSC05675.jpg

In the process of cleaning, I threw away sprue "A" that had some main air-frame parts on it, and at the time thought I had removed all said parts from it..............not the case. It apparently had the pitot tube on it.     :doh:

So.....................I scratched up a new one out of metal. Not perfect, but looks the part IMHO:

DSC05681.jpg

The main area of progress was getting her up on her legs!  I still have to weather/wash the MLG inner braces, but all in all they fit well:

DSC05678.jpg

DSC05679.jpg

DSC05680.jpg

DSC05673.jpg

Finally, I painted the insides of the gear doors along with the red edges for open door detection. There is still some touch-up needed on the red edges, as well as a final wash for the insides of the doors yet:

DSC05671.jpg

About all I have left to do on the T-28, is to add the fuse and wing nav lights, weather the MLG braces, glue the wheels on, then get the gear doors glued on, and finally glue the canopy on, and I should be all finished.

One final minor note on the pit of the T-28..............I found out quickly (at least on my model) that the orange cockpit nav light behind the pilots seat is in fact just  scoach too tall to have the main canopy sit flush on the canopy rails.  I just took the flat side of a straight razor, and made several scraping passes along the bottom of the nav light, rotating it as I went to get an even amount off. so lets the canopy sit flush.

I will be gluing on the canopy with just a tiny bit of Krystal Klear, so that in the even that the canopy might have to be removed for some unknown reason (maybe damage to it, or static attracting particles to the canopy inner surface), it can be with ease. 

Cheers for now till the RFI!

Really looking good! :thumbsup:

Looks fantastic, Brian!

Kev

Thanks guys! I have really been impressed with how KHM is improving to be honest. I know some find the problems experienced in the past with their LSP kits (obviously) insurmountable as to be bordering on un-build-able.   

The T-28 from KHM is a shining example of a model company listening to the modelers who build their stuff, and making corrections as appropriate. The T-28 has significantly less open panels, a GOOD fix for the super weak ignition ring on the Kingfisher, and has cut down or eliminated the 20 sprue fingers for 1 tiny part methodology.

If Kitty Hawks stuff continues to improve at this rate (NOT taking into account the P-39 since although it came out late, it was one of KHMs first LSPs) I will most definitely be investing in more of their kits in the future.

The T-28 had to have less work done on it to get it to the finish line than I actually expected, so Im thinking this one will probably be wrapped up before the weekend is over!   More pics soon as im going to attache the wheels, then its onto getting a wash on the inner gear doors and attaching them, then its just putting the canopies on and its all done.

More pics soon gents 

K2, Ray, many thanks for the kind words. This kit was SUPER enjoyable, and am looking forward to building my own.

First time on a while for an OOB 0 hastle build.

The OS2U and the OV-10 were both fun builds, but each had their niggles. The T-28s niggles are so minor IMHO, that I wouldn't hesitate to build another OOB.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Danny, Jeff, thanks for stopping in on me, and taking the time to comment.  Its a really nice little kit, with 0 big issues, and really goes together nice OOB.

Just last night  I got the gear doors weathered, and the wheels fully glued on the gear. I also got all the nav lights and wing tip lights installed and painted. Now its just down to gluing on all the gear doors and the canopy, and this thing is done.

Pics soon! 

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Looking absolutely brilliant and the finish line is just a few steps away. beautiful work as always

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Brian

Looking absolutely brilliant and the finish line is just a few steps away. beautiful work as always

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Tanks buddy! Im just letting the can-O-pee dry with some tape on it, then Ill take a couple of "WIP RFI" shots and later today or tomorrow get the main RFI shots done. I used Krystal Klear to attach the canopies as its very flexible and can be removed in a pinch if needed while hopefully not cracking the clear parts. The very excellent fit of all the main canopy parts including the windscreen lets you have options for a slower drying glue like MS Krystal Klear.

Brian- Looks great man- As soon as I can afford a T-28, I will purchase one of these because of your build...(I have wrench AND stick time in these!)......

I just had a thought......I think since the Kevin's have their "K1" and "K2" monikers.....perhaps we should be "B1" and "B2".......since we are both Brians.....or maybe we should defer to the great Brian Cauchi, and we be "B2" and "B3"......

Keep up the good work....

Brian...um....THOR     :ninja:

Brian- Looks great man- As soon as I can afford a T-28, I will purchase one of these because of your build...(I have wrench AND stick time in these!)......

I just had a thought......I think since the Kevin's have their "K1" and "K2" monikers.....perhaps we should be "B1" and "B2".......since we are both Brians.....or maybe we should defer to the great Brian Cauchi, and we be "B2" and "B3"......

Keep up the good work....

Brian...um....THOR     :ninja:

Thanks man! 

Always thought the same.............we can start with the LSP regulars and you can take B1   :lol:     Im stealthy like that *insert attempted B2 joke here*

Some progress to show as well!! 

After the gear set up, I went about getting the wheels aligned (using some 15 min epoxy to allow for adjustments) and the gear doors on. Fit of the doors, even as strange as they look hanging off the gear, fit as the rest of the kit; extremely well:

2016-06-04%2013.47.10.jpg

2016-06-04%2013.48.31.jpg

About the only thing to do after that, was to use some MS Krystal Klear to attach the canopy sections. I took some Tamiya tape and a section of paper towel over the glass parts to keep a slight bit of pressure on the main canopy section:

2016-06-04%2014.00.09.jpg

Well, as soon as that dried, I realized..........................IM DONE!    Im calling this one a wrap fellas.  

Overall it was a REALLY enjoyable build.............probably the easiest OOB build Ive done yet. Even the IP and side console decals worked well.  There are only a few scant problems with the kit, and to me they are minor, such as the prop hub being a tad too long, not enough nose weight (as long as you know ahead of time), lack of weighted wheels, and fully open holes for pylons. None of these in my mind are any huge deal, and reflected as such in the time it took me to fix/correct them.

KHM has also fixed/addressed a lot of issues we ALL have been talking about, like the weak & easily broken ignition ring, too many sprue gates for delicate parts, too many open panels, and ultra delicate/spindly engine mounts.  All of these have in my mind been addressed on the T-28, and I hope to see more of this type of corrective engineering from future KHM kits. No model company is perfect, and KHM is NO exception, but they are the exception, in that they are willing to gamble a bit on more un-seen subjects, and more importantly they are willing to get better when they acknowledge an issue.

Well done KHM, well done. 

A few pics from the bench, as I will bust out my decent camera  and background for the actual RFI shots forthcoming........... 

2016-06-04%2017.46.13.jpg

2016-06-04%2017.47.04.jpg

2016-06-04%2017.48.57.jpg

Watch out though, even with 1.6 oz of lead behind the engine, if you put her on the tails stop, she will stay until you put her on her nose gear again:

2016-06-04%2017.50.51.jpg

2016-06-04%2017.51.05.jpg

2016-06-04%2018.59.12.jpg

2016-06-04%2017.51.22.jpg

FIN

Build Time:
3 months

1 week

5 days

RFI shots forthcoming gents, and thans to one and all who followed along! 

Well done KHM, well done.