Kitty Hawk Models T-28 B/D Trojan *FINISHED*

Out2gtcha

Mine is not far from paint. So far it has been an enjoyable build. fit has been outstanding everywhere. There are some omissions here and there that require some investigation and some small additions.

*Nothing on the two throttle quadrants. Odd, but not a big deal to fix.

*The background color of the instrument panels and side consoles decals is just goofy.

*The control lock(s), parts B38 and B39; There should only be one in the front cockpit, and it should be Red.

The Illustrated seat belt and cushion setup is strange. A military bird would not have a back cushion and only shoulder belts and seat belt.

*The lack of color references on several parts is annoying.

E43, the entire firewall. Some photos have it Black. Others Green.

E13, the spacer at the back of the engine. Black

* Nose wheel well, a buildup, has the ceiling White. But no color for the rest of it. And nothing about what color to paint that part that extends into the engine  

compartment. Probably Black.

*The installation of the weights is not clear. If you install the left one too far forward it interferes with the air scoop on the lower left cowling. It needs to be at

least    a quarter inch back.

*The flaps are really not designed to be extended. There should be daylight all the way through the leading edge of the flaps when they are extended. Normal 

flap extension is 37.5 degrees. But if the manual flap release (that little double rectangle  on the left side under the rear canopy rail) is activated, the flaps go to 50 degree extension. That manual release is almost always pulled as it makes climbing up onto the wing easier. And that little double rectangle needs to have a couple slivers of plastic in them. It should be flush with the surrounding area. And that flap well on the trialing edge of the wing is somewhat complex.  No ribs or any indications of what is there. That's fine as they clearly did not intend for us to lower them. But would have been nice to have that option and some detail there.

*No mention anywhere that all that those pylon holes on the underside of the wing need to be filled for all but the D option.

* No illustration showing the wing walk thin Black lines on the top of the wings, nor any decal to do them. They were quite prominent.

All this stuff is really pretty minor really. Considering the complexity of the kit, I think some errors were bound to creep in. And the small things like the separate part for the tail hook area on what has to be a forthcoming C model is not detrimental at all.

As  an ex Air Force guy, I would really like to see an A model. There isn't anything in this kit that makes that not doable. It would only take a whole new front end!!!

@NFiler

I understand, that some additions are minor fixes.

But, I am still fooling around with the cockpit. And the parts B9, B19, B10 that suppose to belong behind the frontseat....I don´t find any reference that it should be there. Also the cover for the back instrument panel seems to short, once you modify that area behind the front seat.

IMG_2897.jpg

Thanks for the update guys, very much needed.   Sorry I have not been on this one, but after sending Glen the OS2U, I have had a run of working some after hours stuff at work, and getting some Jeep parts in that I had to take advantage of some warmer weather.

Again, its Ive just been lacking bench time lately for sure.    This one of mine will have to be 100% OOB for Glens demonstrator, but I will be tackling the more obvious stuff, like possibly extending the short rear IP hood (which I also noticed) as we as control locks for the front pit only, and one of the more main ones for me personally; filling those @#$%ing pylon holes!

Im not sure what the thinking here was, as the OS2U had you punch those holes out yourself, with NO mention of it in the instructions, but  the T-28 has GLARINGLY large holes for all the pylons weather you want the weapons on or not.   Kind of a strange oversight on KHMs part, but as was pointed out, nothing that big really, but still wish it didnt have to be done.

Im hopefully going to be picking this one back up this week and should be ready to start painting!

Cheers,

Mine is not far from paint. So far it has been an enjoyable build. fit has been outstanding everywhere. There are some omissions here and there that require some investigation and some small...

All this stuff is really pretty minor really. Considering the complexity of the kit, I think some errors were bound to creep in. And the small things like the separate part for the tail hook area on what has to be a forthcoming C model is not detrimental at all.

As  an ex Air Force guy, I would really like to see an A model. There isn't anything in this kit that makes that not doable. It would only take a whole new front end!!!

Thank you very much for putting thIs together!

Cheers, Tom

Sorry about no replies lately, but with Spring here and a new Jeep addition, bench time is tough! :lol:

I did get back to it, and started filling some holes, and prepped, then sprayed some YZC on the cockpit parts. I found that using a punch and die set and some thin plastic sheet, got me to the perfect little circles I needed, then just a case of adding a very small dollap of MS 1500 was all that was needed after that, as the punched out circles were pretty spot on level:

2016-03-25%2016.42.41.jpg

2016-03-25%2017.22.57.jpg

2016-03-25%2017.23.27.jpg

I also got the pit glued together in sections so I could put down the YZC:

2016-03-25%2017.31.34.jpg

This was  a bit out of sequence with what the instructions have you do, but I wanted the bracing to get painted when the floor did. I did get the MS 1500 on the wing pylon plugs, as well as getting a layer of YZC down, but didnt get any pics of that, as it was already prepped and drying when I snapped these, and I figured most all knew what drying paint looks like.   :lol:

Next up, is a layer of AK chipping fluid, followed by some DGG then on to some mild weathering then hopefully will attempt to put on the console and IP decals.

Cheers to all! V

Looking good so far Brian! That punch and die set works a treat. I use it for filling sink marks as well.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom! It worked quite well indeed. I'm a bit behind Clunk and some others, but I'm now back making some progress.....

I got the AK chipping fluid on, then a layer of DGG in acrylic, then painted the seat cushions in olive green and buff for the pilots cushion then gave a shot of flat black to the IP hoods.

Pics soon!

Thanks for the update Brian. Regarding the filling of the holes, that what I will keep in mind.

Thanks Dirk. It seemed like the easiest solution by far, and in the end I think it was. The punched out circles fit almost perfectly, and needed almost no filler, but I still put a bit of MS 1500 on them so when I re-scribe the panel/rivet lines, there is no hint of them remaining.

Now that the YZC, chipping layer, DGG, as well as the black for the IP hood parts, as well as the seat cushions are now dry, I will be able to start detailing and weathering. After that, I will be spraying a layer of a bit of gloss so I can apply the OOB side console and IP decals. 

My plan on those is to cut them up, so they better fit the side consoles themselves, as well as potentially eliminating the funky color on them as well. No chance of that on the IP, but thats ok, as since this is again a commission build, im limiting things to 100% OOB config.

More pics soon I promise........

Cheers! 

Wow, those are big holes for the pylons. Brian, are the attaching point on the pylon just as big?

Mike

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I first saw them......................the KHM OS2U had the exact OPPOSITE problem; very dinky "indicators" only of where the bomb rack holes were, and NO actual holes for the pylons/bomb racks at all.   AAMOF, I dont recall that the instructions even ever mentioned about drilling the holes out for the bomb racks. 

They do seem REALLY large to me, and being a trainer, I would say the majority of people building a T-28 will want the standard trainer config without pylons. 

Mike, I havnt actually looked at the pylon attachment points up close, but IIRC, I do think they were very similarly sized.  I didnt get back to the Trojan last night, but fully plan on hitting it when I get back home tonight, so I can start some pit weathering and assembly. 

I dont think that the re-scribe/sanding of the pylon holes will be a big of a deal as I had thought at first, as the punch and die really made the fit quite tight with minimal filler needed.