Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W 29 - Friedrich Christiansen 1918

campingbaer66

Hello ,

this will be my first work in progress thread on this forum and I have chosen the second model kit out of the great WNW Felixstowe/ Hansa-Brandenburg W29 Duellist Pack.

The plane flown by Friedrich Christiansen was the direct opponent to the Felixstowe N4305 when it was shot down on 31th Juli 1918 by a patrol of 5 Hansa-Brandenburg W29.

But on to the build , here are the pictures of the box , a really large one compared to the normal sized box of a Bristol Fighter.

1%20Andere_zpspppld5o4.jpg

2%20Andere_zpsku9ct3b1.jpg

And that's how it will look like.

1a%20Andere_zpsjeitzr5p.jpg

The kits from WNW are already great in detail , but this time I want to add some aftermarket stuff for extra detail.

This will be the textile belts from HGW , a detail set for the Benz.III engine , Anemometer from Gaspatch and resin parts for the Parabellum 14/17 MG from Eduard as well as a Master barrel addition to it.

2a%20Andere_zps65umszqe.jpg

I have started the build last weekend and compared to the Felixstowe I have build this will be a much easier one. I'm already finished with most of the cockpit part and here is my current progress.

The HGW textile belts are added and I must say they are a real advantage over the kit pe-parts . More complicated to assemble but looking great and flexible to bring into position.

3%20Andere_zpsh0b2ovtx.jpg

4%20Andere_zpsnr05gtkq.jpg

5%20Andere_zpswmxw8cmy.jpg

6%20Andere_zpsjwikv5ou.jpg

The instrument panel , the kit decals are very nice to work with. 

If you speak German , you can see a few spelling/translation flaws ( like Haupbenzn instead of Hauptbenzin ) , but this is absolutely unvisible by the naked eye :).

7%20Andere_zpszngya9un.jpg

Hope you like it so far.

Peter

Edited by campingbaer66

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Terrific start and will be following all the way. How about a mini tutorial on your wonderfulwoodwork?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter

Terrific start and will be following all the way. How about a mini tutorial on your wonderfulwoodwork?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Peter ,

I guess it is too simple for a tutorial , but this is how I do it :

- First brush the plastic parts with Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow

- prepare a mix of Burnt Amber and burnt Sienna oil paint ( I use Griffin Alkyd because of the fast drying time of 6-8 hours ) with AK Interactive White    Spirit.

- apply the blend to the parts and let it start to dry ( approx. 30 min. ) , when it getting higher viscos start brushing the wood structure with a wide  brush until you get the reqiured result. Normally I repeat this 2-3 times till I feel it is looking ok.

Peter

Thanks to all of you for following this build and for the very friendly comments.

There is not too much new this week but I have managed to finish the cockpit , add the internal rigging and make a test fit into the right fusalage half.

Fit is excellent , no problems to see here.

8%20Andere_zpsqtyecaxk.jpg

9%20Andere_zpsluz3orqk.jpg

10%20Andere_zps4ppmxkd3.jpg

11%20Andere_zpsu0gb4lqh.jpg

Peter

• 1 month later...

Ok , time for an update on my HB 29.

The fuselage is closed now and I have managed to finish the work on the engine too.

The Benz.III engine is not the best detailed engine from WnW and so I choosed to use a HGW upgrade set for it , added ignition wires and replaced the molded on push rods with 0,5 mm silver/nickel pipes.

16%20Andere_zpsob10m18h.jpg

13%20Andere_zps3hsqpvyt.jpg

15%20Andere_zpsipemrkdb.jpg

Next step was some work on the Parabellum 14/17.

The plan is to replace the kit part with a combination of Eduard Resin and Master metal barrel.

The comparison of the kit part with the Eduard resin MG shows clearly that the Eduard barrel is too short.

18%20Andere_zpsqxev71rc.jpg

With the Master barrel it looks much better and with correct length. Ammo drum is from the Eduard set.

19%20Andere_zpskg6igplc.jpg

Finished Parabellum ready to be used.

20%20Andere_zpsaqvglrbd.jpg

More work on the fuselage with added Lozenge Tarnstoff and C-Decals. Propeller and Spandau 08 machine guns added.

24%20Andere_zpsbvcyk93u.jpg

21%20Andere_zpshn4fccuo.jpg

23%20Andere_zpsdhfw1m0f.jpg

Slim airframe

22%20Andere_zpsbmvunrhb.jpg

Wings with Lozenge Tarnstoff , slightly aged and ready to be added to the fuselage.

25%20Andere_zps1wuapx66.jpg

Floats also ready.

26%20Andere_zpstweik9ey.jpg

The Anemometer ( wind speed meter ) , lower part from WnW , upper part from Gaspatch.

27%20Andere_zpsexdfy2rc.jpg

90 % finished , just waiting for a spare C-Decal ( messed up one of them ) ordered from Pheon decals.

Peter

Edited by campingbaer66