That darn revell Bf 109G-10!

Hardcore

Barracuda inserts in the wings.

IMG_20160204_185529_zpshlu8tic5.jpg

The inserts seem to have shrunk slightly, or maybe i managed to squeeze the fuselage. In any case i used zap-a-gap, and baking soda, to cover the gap. I also had to glue several times because it is so easy to bend the wings and break the bonds. (You could have told me!)

However, progress is made. One step at a time.

Having the CA break in starboard wing i decided to remove the resin and work to get a better fit. After some cutting and sanding it looked better. Still, i wasn't keen on using CA glue again. We have some epoxy and i tried that. It is for metallic but seems to work good enough. It also filled the wing root gap nicely. To make the resin part mate level with the wing i used a piece of plastic to lift one end. It can be seen in the photo.

IMG_20160222_195153_zpsiwhhwpbr.jpg

Baking soda works both as a bulk filler and flash cure for CA. But it can also be a nasty nightmare, as it will try to absorb moisture over time and weep salty ick unless it is thoroughly sealed.

Thanks! Will prepare the surface well then. Primer and then maybe some varnish before paint.

Looks great so far!   As recommended in your other thread, you might want to try a fresh bottle of Zap a Gap, and try cleaning the resin with something like Bleche wite (White wall tire cleaner used in movie props)

I really like the way its shaping up so far, and I too use the filler method with CA.   I stopped using talc for the very reasons Steve mentioned; if its not sealed it can weep a bit, especially if used or applied in humid conditions.

If your so inclined, I switched awhile back to a product that the R/C community uses for filling as well; Micro-balloons.   I got mine from a company called "Sig" but Im sure other companies make it too.   \

Its effectively super micro small beads of glass that do not react the same way that talc does to humidity and other factors, but yet makes a great filler in anything from CA, to epoxy, to even white glue:

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 2 years later...

I intend to finish all my builds I have started threads about, and this one is currently active again. 

The build is an opportunity to test pre-shading so I may be a little carefree in execution.

Ever since I paused the build i was not satisfied with the black Primer. I feared it would not be good for the colours making them unrealistically dark. With an Airbrush this is easy to fix and so I lightened it all up a little with some medium grey. 

Another first is to try use the right pressure and mixture. I would have done so long before but I suppose I didn't trust the manometer of my cheap tank. Maybe I owe the Chinese an apology. 

I have started applying Gunze Rlm 76 and 75 today (properly mixed 50/50 with rubbing alcohol). Next is the complementary late war green. Probably tomorrow. 

Funny thing is that I haven't decided on a Decal scheme yet. 

Sorry for the long delay, folks. ;-)