That darn revell Bf 109G-10!

Hardcore

Thanks guys, but it is enough that you find it interesting ^_^

Andrus, yes I have noticed how the plate, and other decals, stand out. Regrettably they don't come with colours adjusted for scale effect :angry2:

and I don't know how fix that. 

I could spray a medium gray filter onto Decal sheets but then I would need to trim every Decal. Maybe, maybe i should try masks. 

Btw, the national insignias, compared to other markings, look a bit pale in photos. I am not sure why. Did they use other colours than black and white? That  would be against regulations. 

Today more work on the underside. I used Mig oils again. There is a "dried mud" colour i bought on a whim. The idea was to use it on my toons tiger, but it was useful here. 

It would be unrealistic with oil everywhere under the wings, but some dirt from the muddy airfields is a must. I applied a fair amount in the visible parts of the wheel Wells. 

IMG_20181206_225925602_BURST001_zpsovfc3

IMG_20181206_230006173_zpsvim3vy89.jpg

IMG_20181206_225947876_BURST000_COVER_TO

The dust oil doesn't show up well on the matt aluminium so it need more work. Maybe I'll fix that with the ab tomorrow, using acrylics. 

Otoh it looks good on the wheels i think. 

I used the same oil to add foootprints on the wings. 

IMG_20181206_225947876_BURST000_COVER_TO

And finally a close up of the messy front. Hard to go wrong here on an bf109, but an earlier wash ate into the varnish without permission. Nothing to do about that now. 

IMG_20181206_230045067_zps0efhffvv.jpg

My number one problem is to get smooth paint and Primer layers. I'll go get myself a bottle of Gunze levelling thinner. It's said to be the thing for achieving smoothness. 

I also plan to test the effect of tamiya retarder when using an ab. I think it is intended for brush but why not experiment a little? 

Thanks for looking! 

Edited by Hardcore

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Wegener said:

I have certainly read that the Balkenkreuze were sometimes painted dark grey, 74 being the obvious candidate as both factories and units would have it on hand for camouflage.

You got any idea where you read that? 

Nvm. On second thoughts I think you mean the center of the crosses were painted gray rather than black. I have seen information on that in the JaPo books. 

Edited by Hardcore

Astonishingly I managed to find at least one of the places I had read it!

Wolowski’s book ‘Bf109 late versions’ published by MMP.  He actually suggests that the fuselage crosses could variously be filled with 70, 75 or 82, depending on manufacturer and version.  However, he says that Erla G-10s usually had no fill on the fuselage crosses.  The fill appears to be more of a WNF and Diana feature.

I’m unqualified to comment on the veracity of his claims but those that I can verify from colour photographs appear sound, notwithstanding that late LW colours are a minefield and that photo interp of colours on mono images is always a challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll take a break from  this model now. Next step is to mount the thing on a display plaque, but I have no idea when I'll get around to do that. 

Here are the latest photos. 

The tail wheel got some dust coloured  oil wash. 

IMG_20190114_193809083_zps0pqik7df.jpg

Masking tape was removed from the canopy. 

Some unwanted paint was removed too, with white spirit. 

Not the ideal solvent but the alternative, rubbing alcohol, would have made a mess of the Future on the canopy. 

IMG_20190114_192741361_zpsvp27qyzf.jpg

IMG_20190114_192720310_zpshsgu3lg8.jpg

IMG_20190114_192705772_zpsqi3vn9h1.jpg

IMG_20190113_205557305_zpsmfjyos5a.jpg

IMG_20190114_190713508_zpsfobfdpxe.jpg

Edited by Hardcore