1/32 Hurricane

Radub

• 2 weeks later...

There was little progress on the Hurricane lately.

I added the bolts on the radiator rim and an ident light at the rear of the wing.

I also discovered that the fore part of the wing wing fillet is not as "chunky" as it should be, so I used some miliput to improve it. However, the miliput was a bit past its use-by date, so it crumbled like chalk every time I tried to scribe it. I am trying to fix it now with Mr. Surfacer, but I may have to remove it and do it again if that does not work. In addition, the underside fore fillet is a very complex shape. It is impossible to describe it without causing more confusion. It is a trapese and generally flat shape flaring steeply into triangle-curved shapes on either side - told ya it is confusing, words fail me, you need to look at the photos of the real thing to see what I mean, see photo on left page 7 of Squadron Signal Walkaround. I can definitely say that there is no kit on the market in any scale (Hasegawa in 1/48 or 1/72, Airfix in 1/48 or 1/24, Revell 1/72, Hobbicraft 1/48) that captures its shape correctly. This shape was a pain to get right, and I am not sure I got it.

Not visible in this photo, I also did some work on the landing and position lights. I will post some photos of that soon.

Radu

post-4-1117188378.jpg

The same treatment had to be applied to the upper fillets. These were worse affected by the crumbling miliput affliction.

A lot of the scribing along the fillet had to be removed because it was wrong.

You can still see the fasteners, but they were filled with superglue and sanded smooth. I brushed a bit of MrSurfacer on them to point them out in the photos (that was removed afterwards).

post-4-1117189552.jpg

Looking good Radu...a reliable (and accurate) source of information is essential to such detailing, but when you have it, just look at the results! An excellent example of scratch building techniques for all of us (I hope my scratch built B-P Defiant looks as good as your Hurricane does).

Best wishes

Derek

Hi Radu

Your work is stunning. Please tell me what makes of filler or putties you use. I am learning about filler and putties now, and I would like to know what you use.

If you use more than one kind (probably) what do you prefer for what kinds of jobs?

In the modeling shops there are racks of this stuff, and the boxes are not very informative. Unfortunatly mortals like me cannot buy one of each to go try out, I have to buy and try one every now and then, and hope it is good.

All the best

Piet