Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

Chuck, I know you did the rivet work on the fuselage, wings, etc a long time ago, but I was just wondering what spacing of the rivets did you use?  If you don't remember would you be able to measure?  1mm, 0.75mm apart?

I'm about to start riveting and need an idea of which tools I'm going to use

Hi,

My go-to rivet ruler is the 1 mm one, which comes as a set of 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 mm rulers made by Hasegawa.  It comes as one big template of all 4 rulers, which I cut down into 4 smaller ones like in the pic below.  A sewing needle in a pin vice is the way to go, with the following tips:

1)   The taper at the tip of the needle is key, as well as the softness of the plastic.  Sewing needles come in a variety of tapers at the tip, so for some very small rivets you want a shallow taper that is all sharp tip, while on other larger rivet depressions, you want a taper that goes from fat to sharp in a very short distance, which creates a wider depression.  In my recent experience, Trumpeter plastic is much softer than Tamiya, so you have to be careful to not go too deep with each needle punch.  I generally prefer the fat taper that goes from wide to sharp in a short distance, which allows me to make the mark I want based upon needle pressure.   I hope this makes sense.  For really big fastener depressions, you should use the "Mega Tool" (wood handle punch below) with a variety of small sized circular punches.

2)  When making needle depressions with the ruler, make really shallow ones at first that you can barely see, which the metal ruler will force you into anyway.  At this stage you just want to know where the rivet mark is supposed to be, rather than the total depression with one punch.

3)   Re-do each rivet punch without the ruler in the way.  Again, based upon the depth and softness of the plastic, you can hopefully create the depth and width that you are looking for.

4)  With lots of practice, you can free-hand many of the rivet marks you want to make with fairly good precision.  About 50% of my rivet marks are made this way, especially along curves.

b8KEvU.jpg

Good Luck!

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

No real update, other than to say I am working on the drop tanks, wing pylons, missile launchers and other tiny bits.  I have made several modifications to all of them and right now I'm extra SLOW!  Part of it has to do with the warmest summer I can ever remember and part of it has to do with savoring every last detail of this build, so I won't be finished any time soon.

Thanks for your patience,

Chuck

Thanks Guys.  The only reason I throw my progress (or lack thereof) out there is based upon some personal experience with other builds that I have followed here over the years.  Just when the modeler seems to be getting very close to the end, the build stalls or disappears and you wonder what the heck happened to it.  Worse yet, some guys actually started a new model before they finished their old one.   NOOOOOOOO!   :crying:  Without mentioning names, a Buddee of mine did just that when building what is likely the most spectacular WWII British fighter I've ever seen, or at least until Peter came along with his 1/18 scale freak of nature.  :P

Anyway, this model isn't one of those cases, or at least I hope not.  I haven't even applied a decal yet, which is a build step I usually like.  We'll see.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Guys.  The only reason I throw my progress (or lack thereof) out there is based upon some personal experience with other builds that I have followed here over the years.  Just when the modeler seems to be getting very close to the end, the build stalls or disappears and you wonder what the heck happened to it.  Worse yet, some guys actually started a new model before they finished their old one.   NOOOOOOOO!   :crying:  Without mentioning names, a Buddee of mine did just that when building what is likely the most spectacular WWII British fighter I've ever seen, or at least until Peter came along with his 1/18 scale freak of nature.  :P

Anyway, this model isn't one of those cases, or at least I hope not.  I haven't even applied a decal yet, which is a build step I usually like.  We'll see.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

You couldn't have said this any better. I have this "discussion" with Pete almost on a daily basis.

Joel