Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Thanks again guys for all the kind words of encouragement!   

Next up is the application of a gloss coat (Tamiya X-22) for decals, followed by painting of the titanium rear panels, which should go very well.  With those engine nozzles I made months ago stuck on the back, they should look really cool!

Having said all that, I'm not quite sure when I'll get all this done.  The weather is really nice here right now and there's stuff to do outside, so this could take awhile.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks again guys for all the kind words of encouragement!   

Next up is the application of a gloss coat (Tamiya X-22) for decals, followed by painting of the titanium rear panels, which should go very well.  With those engine nozzles I made months ago stuck on the back, they should look really cool!

Having said all that, I'm not quite sure when I'll get all this done.  The weather is really nice here right now and there's stuff to do outside, so this could take awhile.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Tamiya X-22 for a gloss coat?  I thought that you're the master of Future/Pledge?  That really took me by surprise. 

Joel

Chuck,

Tamiya X-22 for a gloss coat?  I thought that you're the master of Future/Pledge?  That really took me by surprise. 

Joel

Yes, I used to be, in a very big way until I found X-22.  On my P-38L build I wanted something to seal the Alclad NMF for decal application and I already knew that Future/Pledge (FP) dulls the metal finish quite a bit.  I experimented with several gloss clear coats and found that X-22 was the best for retaining most of the metallic look.  Once I started spraying it I found that it dried fairly quickly, so I thinned it with Tamiya lacquer thinner (yellow cap) and it sprays much finer than FP and you can load up vertical areas to get the "wet look" without it running.  If you make a mistake, it sands very easily within an hour of application and can be re-applied.  Once I discovered all that, I became a X-22 convert and I don't use FP anymore as a clear coat.  It's also acrylic, which allows the application of oil washes without fear of stripping the paint.  I just love the stuff!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Like you, I've been experimenting with X-22 Thinned with Tamiya Yellow cap, and I'll admit it's pretty good. But I just can't let go of Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat. Been using them for 40 years or so and they've never failed me yet. 

About the only time I needed to gloss or protect a NMF was my 1/48 scale P-38 build. I used Testors Model Master Sealer for Metalizers and it far exceeded what Alcad has which are mineral based. Once dry, I couldn't tell if it was on or not as the NMF looked the same to me. 

Joel

Yes, I used to be, in a very big way until I found X-22.  On my P-38L build I wanted something to seal the Alclad NMF for decal application and I already knew that Future/Pledge (FP) dulls the metal finish quite a bit.  I experimented with several gloss clear coats and found that X-22 was the best for retaining most of the metallic look.  Once I started spraying it I found that it dried fairly quickly, so I thinned it with Tamiya lacquer thinner (yellow cap) and it sprays much finer than FP and you can load up vertical areas to get the "wet look" without it running.  If you make a mistake, it sands very easily within an hour of application and can be re-applied.  Once I discovered all that, I became a X-22 convert and I don't use FP anymore as a clear coat.  It's also acrylic, which allows the application of oil washes without fear of stripping the paint.  I just love the stuff!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Fantastic paint work, love your style man! Also, not to throw more product at you, but you if like X-22 clear, give Alclad Aqua Gloss (ALC 600) a go sometime. It is a true acrylic and produces a incredibly clear and tough gloss coat. Kind of like the best of both worlds with Future and Tamiya X-22 all in one product, super stuff over Alclad metallics too. If you would want a bit more drytime control with either Tamiya or Gunze panits, Mr. Color Leveling thinner 400 with a few drops of the same brand retarder. Responds like the old two-part mix automotive lacquers giving excellent control over application and dry times.

Kirk

Edited by Starfighter Jock

Chuck,

Fantastic paint work, love your style man! Also, not to throw more product at you, but you if like X-22 clear, give Alclad Aqua Gloss (ALC 600) a go sometime. It is a true acrylic and produces a incredibly clear and tough gloss coat. Kind of like the best of both worlds with Future and Tamiya X-22 all in one product, super stuff over Alclad metallics too. If you would want a bit more drytime control with either Tamiya or Gunze panits, Mr. Color Leveling thinner 400 with a few drops of the same brand retarder. Responds like the old two-part mix automotive lacquers giving excellent control over application and dry times.

Kirk

Aqua Gloss is basically the same as Future. 

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chuck

Just 'eating up the Eagle's Cammo' - beautiful air brush work as always. For me, I enjoy air brush and paint work as the highlight of any of my builds and always appreciate never miss an opportunity to praise work far better then mine: I tip my cap!

beating the PB issue a bit further, I was a paying customer for years, saw a consistent decline in service and capabilities for years. When this all happened, I took my brothers suggestion, Signed up for an account on Image Shack and cancelled my account with PB. In the short time I've been using Image Shack, the site functions without a hitch, both uploading images, downloading from the site is so mush faster and easier then PB and never the days of not being able to do either.

Keep 'em coming

Peter