Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

PS: the part behind the seat - is it resin or you modified the standard part? The flat part with the little rhomboid textures. It looks very naturally in the cockpit thanks to the shapes - so this is the OOB part after a treatment with heat (i suppose) or is it a resin part? ...  :blink:

Everything in or behind the cockpit is resin, from either the Avionix or Aires kits.

FYI for those who might be following this build, I'm not doing much modeling these days due to nice weather and other activities.  I will likely kick it up into high gear in November when the snow flies, but I should have the odd update now and then in the meantime.  Now that there are two other F-15 builds going, I think I might sit back and watch these masters to learn a few tricks!

Cheers,

Chuck

Something important:

No thread has ever came close to yours, and I follow you since your Hornet.

It is not only about your modelling skill. It is not about your high quality pics.

Mostly is about your narrative and how you interact with the public.

I remember how exciting was following your Phantom thread years ago. There was a joy still unmatched.

Enjoy Summer and keep going!

Edited by Galfa

Something important:

No thread has ever came close to yours, and I follow you since your Hornet.

It is not only about your modelling skill. It is not about your high quality pics.

Mostly is about your narrative and how you interact with the public.

I remember how exciting was following your Phantom thread years ago. There was a joy still unmatched.

Enjoy Summer and keep going!

Wow Galfa, what a nice comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this, because I often wonder if all the extra effort I try to put into my build threads is a waste of valuable modeling time. With a comment like this, it clearly isn't!

Like I said above, I will still have the odd update throughout the summer, but the progress will be slow. I have some neat (to me anyway) modifications to the landing gear I hope to show in the next week or two.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

June 9/16

A little update- but just a little.  As mentioned above, I'm not much of a summer modeler, but I do try and pick away now and then to keep the project moving along and retain my interest in the build.  Since I was modifying the front landing gear so that it would not have to be permanently screwed in to the front fuselage, I decided to finish off all the landing gear to get that stuff out of the way.  As shown earlier, here's what the kit parts look like.  Pretty rough and as I found out later, they don't fit together particularly well either.

Gearprep3.jpg

The hardest part of clean-up is to remove all seam-lines and imperfections on the metal parts, which goes much easier if you use the UMM sanding sticks, with 400 grit followed by 1000 grit.  The part on the right is almost done.

Gearprep4.jpg

After checking reference pics of my subject, I found that a few of the main parts were missing as well.  I realize that you can't ever have every single part of a landing gear represented, but these are fairly major parts that show below the bottom of the fuselage.

Gearprep1.jpg

After assembling the landing gear, cutting off certain parts that are made for an F-15E and drilling a few holes, I modified the landing gear as follows to hopefully resemble the real deal above more accurately.  The circular brass parts come from the Eduard F-15E kit, which are meant to replace the big wheel-like spring assembly I cut off the front control arm, which the F-15C does not have.  Using a single layer of this brass part, rather than assembling the 4 parts together as instructed, they "sort of, kind of" look like the circular thingies on the control arm above.  The control arm, which is missing from the kit, along with a few other parts were made from spare parts in the stash, along with some wire, pins and styrene rod.  One major modification is the 2 mm styrene rod I inserted and glued into the recess where the landing gear is screwed into the gear well.  I did this because:

1)  The landing gear parts do not fit very well and they should be assembled as a single unit in order to fill any gaps and flaws. 

2)  If the landing gear is fully assembled, you cannot access the screw that goes into the gear well.

3)  The screw is VERY hard to insert, so damage to the gear well is likely.

4)  I want to drop the gear legs into the gear well at the end of the build, just like the nose gear, without any hassle.

5)  The screw assembly is overkill anyway.  With the metal gear inserted and glued into the gear well recess, it will be very strong without an additional screw.

6)  I love to modify things, just 'cause!

Gearprep7.jpg

Gearprep8.jpg

In order to accommodate the 2 mm styrene rod, the screw hole needs to be drilled out accordingly.

Gearprep9.jpg

The landing gear is now a drop in and the parts fit better, while remaining strong once glued.

Gearprep10.jpg

Instead of seeing an ugly screw head, you will see nothing but a flat white plate at the base after painting, because the gaps around the rod have been filled and sanded with CA glue.

Gearprep11.jpg

Gearprep12.jpg

The nose gear has a different problem, as I found out from a few other builds of this kit.  It looks OK here....

Gearprep5.jpg

But note the space above the tire on the real deal....

Gearprep2.jpg

On this kit, there is a sizable gap here that isn't very realistic.

Gearprep6.jpg

This is one of those times where it just has to be "Good Enough".  If I shorten the fork, I will have to extend the oleo, which is not a big deal with plastic, but on metal?  Time to punt.

Next up will be painting, then adding a lot of hydraulic lines and other detail.  I also have a surprise that I hope to show soon, so stay tuned!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Great work on the landing gear Chuck.

The older Tamiya kits can be made into a great looking models, but you're required to dig deep into your modelling skills and experience toolbox. The work that you've done so far looks amazing, but from you, I don't think anyone would expect anything less!

I can't wait to see this aggressor cone together.

Looks grande, Chuck.  Could you not modify the kit's plastic parts instead of purchasing after-market?  Do the kit's plastic parts not measure up to after-market?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Looks grande, Chuck.  Could you not modify the kit's plastic parts instead of purchasing after-market?  Do the kit's plastic parts not measure up to after-market?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Sorry Mark, I may have misled you and maybe some others.  These are the kit parts, including the metal landing gear.  I've just modified the parts and added a few more scratch-built bits.

Cheers,

Chuck