Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Chuck, amazing work on the cockpit! I'm currently working on an f-15 e, which actually is mostly the same parts as the tamiya f-15 c, so I'm very interested in seeing this beast come together. Great work

goodness me that is something special :)

I have that proud, warm feeling like watching the birth of my first child seeing these modern cockpit sets 'in action' so to speak, and staggeringly effective use made of them as raw material I must say :)

thank you Chuck for showcasing them so well - your cockpit looks absolutely stunning and some great tips I am going to shamelessly steal as well

love it...

Peter

So this is what you've been up to!   Brilliant, as ever, my friend- cheers!  Thanks for the tip on the Great Planes debonder- that's on my shopping list and will hopefully be available at the LHS.  I'm taking notes on all your mix-and-match techniques, as I'm faced with a lot of that on my current build.  Your posts are always an interesting and informative read, as well as candy for this modeler's eyes.  Thanks!

goodness me that is something special :)

I have that proud, warm feeling like watching the birth of my first child seeing these modern cockpit sets 'in action' so to speak, and staggeringly effective use made of them as raw material I must say :)

thank you Chuck for showcasing them so well - your cockpit looks absolutely stunning and some great tips I am going to shamelessly steal as well

love it...

Peter

Thanks to you Peter for supplying me with these awesome products.  I'll never have to draw tiny black lines on a yellow background again!

Thanks Guys!  I'm not ashamed to admit I love the odd “attaboy†once in awhile, so your kind comments are very much appreciated, even if I don't respond to every one.

Before I stick the cockpit and other bits into the front fuselage, I thought I would check out the front landing gear which according to the instructions, must be made up and screwed into the front gear well before the fuselage is glued together.  Thankfully the landing gear parts are mostly metal, because this big-ass bird will be heavy when finished.  It will take a lot of work to clean up the metal parts and remove seam lines from the plastic additions, but hey, that's modeling!

Here's a pic of what most of the landing gear parts look like before any clean-up.

Landing%20Gear1.jpg

This pic shows why I didn't spend much time with plumbing and wiring detail in the front gear well.  F-15's have the front gear door closed when parked and with the landing gear in the way, you'd see none of it!  This pic also shows why the front gear leg must be installed early, because it is attached with a screw through a hole in the leg that will be buried in the front fuselage.

Landing%20Gear2.jpg

Here's a close-up of the front gear leg, which has the squared off wheel fork that is used on the F-15E, but not the earlier F-15C's.  This fork should be smooth and rounded instead. 

Landing%20Gear5.jpg

I hate installing landing gear early in a build and I will do whatever it takes to modify the kit to allow installation near the end of the build instead.  I couldn't do this with my last Trumpeter P-38L build and the landing gear was always in the way, subject to breakage and paint damage.  It was a real pain, but unavoidable.

Looking at how the leg attaches to the gear well with a screw, I decided to cut a slot in the metal hole where the screw is inserted with my Dremel tool and cut-off wheel, leaving a U-shaped channel in its place instead.

Landing%20Gear3.jpg

With the new channel created, the front gear can now easily be glued into place at the end of the build, just like the main landing gear legs.  With a long gluing surface and the weight of the model on the join, I will not have to worry about damage with normal handling.   I tilted the gear well to show how solid it is just sitting there with gravity.

Landing%20Gear4.jpg

With the fitment out of the way, I then filed and sanded the metal gear leg to remove seam lines, injector marks and polish the oleo.  With a coat of Future to seal the oleo from the atmosphere, it won't corrode and turn dark later.  The front fork was also smoothed and rounded to look more like an F-15C fork than one for an F-15E, which this later kit was derived from, hence the common parts and incorrect panel lines I'll deal with later.

Landing%20Gear6.jpg

The kit wheels and tires are also made for an F-15, which are much wider than an F-15C.  Fortunately there are resin F-15C wheels/tires  from “Parts-R-Parts†that I bought as replacements.  Unfortunately, the resin casting block at the bottom is not restricted to just the flat bottom, so about 1/3 of the tire tread is filled with resin that lacks tread detail.   The tire on the right has the resin cut off.

Landing%20Gear7.jpg

To smooth off the tire and add back tread detail, I used my Dremel tool again as a lathe, which fit perfectly in the rear of the wheel.  As the tire turned in the “latheâ€, the tire was first sanded smooth on the bottom to remove irregularities, and then I used my chisel scribing tool to carve tread grooves back into the tire that the resin block had filled.  It didn't come out perfect, but with flat black paint and pastels, I doubt that I will notice any imperfections later.  Note how thin this tire is, which is about 2/3's the width of the kit rubber tire.

Landing%20Gear8.jpg

That will be it for updates for a few weeks I suspect.  I want to do a good job of the landing gear and there's a lot of work ahead before I have anything worth showing.

Cheers for now,

Chuck