Crew in B17

Phartycr0c

Part 2 of my Dio challenge starts.

Part 1 if you cast your mind back was my Meng ME 163. 

DSC_4592.jpg

Part 2 is a "crew in" HK B17.

I really am making this up as I go along, and as I wanted to do a little figure painting off the bat, I started with the Bomb aimers position complete with bomb aimer and "gunner assistant" Nav. 

So the crew starts with the wonderful Master Details Bomb aimer figure. The nav is actually a 1/35 Czech Masters Blackhawk door gunner with one of the spare heads from the Master Details kit and a little milliput for the fur cuffs and collars.

Anyhow here's progress so far .

DSC_4831.jpg

DSC_4834.jpg

The front turret sight in the kit is ridiculously large. even after thining and some reduction it is still a little on the thick side and unfortunately covers the bomb aimers fizzog.

Next up the traditional starting point, the cockpit.  

• 2 weeks later...

Nice start to the crew.  I used 10 Master details WWll Cold weather Pilot and

modified 9, missing the tail gunner.

My "Flak-Kat"  shot her down and busted a whole bunch of scratch building out of the

fuselage.

Keep up the good work :popcorn:  :beer:

Jack

Popcorn makes me Thirsty

A little more progress with the cockpit. 

Onto the quilting I thought miliput was a bit thick and sticky for the job and it ruined the kitchen sieve  :help:  yep im in trouble. Anyhow, I was using a set of cutters when I saw the handle pattern .Bingo! 

Embossed kitchen foil and here are the results 

IMG_20621_2.jpg

IMG_20581_1.jpg

A little wash et voilla

IMG_20631_1.jpg

chipping on the control pedestal 

IMG_20641_1.jpg

and its starting to come together slowly. 

BTW the cockpit isnt finished! 

The hardest part was figuring out how in the world he positioned his body to work the sight, not many pics I could find besides a few

"Hollywood" shots.(worthless) Nav is also modified MD Cold Weather pilot.

Keep on Truck'n  with this and I hope you don't have a "​Flak-Kat" of your ownIMAG0589.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on off and on the pilot and co pilot.

The co pilot is an interloper from the Tamiya Mosquito. 

DSC_4835.jpg

DSC_4836.jpg

I have used the kit panel and filled the lenses with pva for the clear look. with the crew in there is no real room to see all the cockpit details HK provide. I need to add the oxygen hoses then on to the bomb bay. 

Just realised how messy my work place is! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update. My attention has turned to a little engineering required to make this a little more authentic. That of powering the props. 

I am intending to have three of the four engines running during display and to that end how to power the props.?

Thusly. 

I am using 3.7 v 60000rpm brushless micro motors 

IMG_21211.jpg

Which, as it appens, fit very nicely into the rear of the prop hub fitting 

IMG_21221.jpg

the front of which is drilled, the rear being plugged with milliput firmly fixing the motors into place. 

IMG_21231.jpg

giving this

IMG_21241.jpg

Next is fitting the rear of the hub so the props will run centrally and without vibration. In order to make this happen some sort of sleeve was required. after initial trials with milliput plugs i settled on some insulation from thick stranded copper wire pushed onto the drive cog with the hub being set onto and centred before being glued to the sleeve. 

IMG_21251.jpg

giving this

IMG_21271.jpg

Et voila i have three fully functioning wright cyclones.........well ok perhaps not. 

Within the wing spar structure I have fitted a set of electrical connections which will allow me to unplug and remove the wings for transport if required. 

IMG_21261.jpg

With this particular bridge crossed I can now progress a little hopefully.