New Tool Hasegawa 1/32 Zero.....Why?

Big Texan

Only someone who REAAAAAAALY wanted a A6M52 over an A6M2

You mean A6M5c over an A6M5, right? The two kits of later Zeros are almost the same price at the moment. 

D

Edited by D Bellis

Who would buy a Hasegawa Zero in preference to a Tamiya Zero if the price is the same?

I would.  The Tamiya kit, while excellent, is not an A6M5c and you can't make it into one with any of the parts in either of the Tamiya A6M kits.  I also don't care for the gimmicky retractable landing gear on the Tamiya zero.  To enable that function, they had to compromise on the detail in the gear well and the canvas boot that surrounds the tail wheel strut is missing entirely (as it is with most A6M kits).

That would be two sales.  The only reason I have the A6M5 is because the A6M5c molds are a thing of the past.  Of the two, and I know it's not much, but I just prefer the look of the A6M5c over the A6M5.

Sincerely,

Mark

Who would buy a Hasegawa Zero in preference to a Tamiya Zero if the price is the same?

Three sales.

Really looking forward to this.

I have the Tamiya Type 21 and bought the Suisen conversion because I didn't want to faff with the Tamiya undercarriage - as Juggernaut said, I don't care for the gimmicky retractable landing gear. Same with the later Tamiya variant except there's no floatplane option.

The Hasegawa A6M5c can be built to an acceptably high standard in about three weeks. A Tamiya A6M5 would just sit in the stash next to the unbuilt Mosquito. I don't think I've finished a Tamiya kit in a very long time, although I do love their jets and two F-4s are due to be completed this year.

I seriously hope Hasegawa continue with the 1/32 new tool single engined Japanese planes. Ki 43 Hayabusa, late model Ki 61/100 Hien and Otsu, maybe a mid-war Zero Type 32 and, if we get very lucky, a Seiran or all-plastic Suisen.

Tony

I enjoy the painting stage of modelling the best, so I too would buy an easy-to-assemble Hasegawa kit over a more complicated Tamiya kit every time (even at a similar price point), as that gets me to the part I enjoy faster.

Doug

Edited by DougN

I built the Tamiya lights/action/sound A6M5 in about three days to a reasonable standard - have used it at some of the shows to entertain for years.  :piliot:

Whilst a fair few parts assembly is very straightforward as far as I can remember, although, yes, agree that Hasegawa's phylosophy would facilitate a quicker build...

Iain

I already have 3 Tamiya Zeroes, but I'm also buying one of the Hasegawa.

I want it because it's a different variant, and because I really like Hasegawa kits. I have all of the other modern Hasegawa 1/32 japanese fighter kits, and I'm quite happy with them.

Now if they'll just do a new Ki43 and a Ki100, I'll be well pleased. I'm dangerously close to just buying the old Ki43 since I really want that aircraft represented in my collection.

• 4 weeks later...

some of you guys kill me, you complain that we aren't getting enough new releases, then you say "do we really need" said new model, and the answer is yeah!!!!!!! market competition drives DOWN the price of kits. I get that you can get a tamiya kit for a bucks more. 

However not everyone is in love with Tamiya, and some guys like building other brands of kits, thus there if a company makes a new kit of the model that someone wants to buy, then they have achieved "market share".

Also I'm getting a little sick of hearing about "high priced" kits at local stores. Support your local hobby shop and spend the $10 more or so to help the local guy out. Plus leaving with the kit you wanted and tearing into it, is what makes this hobby so great. 

Rant over. 

Edited by andromeda673

I think it is a good thing....

While I will probably never build a Zero, and admittedly Tamiya's latest kits are spectacular, I often want a simpler model without all the complexity and hassle (not to mention cost) of the full engine and other parts the Tamiya kits include.  Hasegawa usually fits that bill nicely.  I have never really been an "open panels" type of builder, so a simple, accurate kit with nicely restrained surface detail is usually exactly what I want.

I did not know the Tamiya Zero had retractable landing gear....gawd....I thought those gimmicks ended with the Monogram kits of the 1970s.....

some of you guys kill me, you complain that we aren't getting enough new releases, then you say "do we really need" said new model, and the answer is yeah!!!!!!! market competition drives DOWN the price of kits. I get that you can get a tamiya kit for a bucks more. 

However not everyone is in love with Tamiya, and some guys like building other brands of kits, thus there if a company makes a new kit of the model that someone wants to buy, then they have achieved "market share".

Also I'm getting a little sick of hearing about "high priced" kits at local stores. Support your local hobby shop and spend the $10 more or so to help the local guy out. Plus leaving with the kit you wanted and tearing into it, is what makes this hobby so great. 

Rant over. 

If it was only a $10 difference - or £10 - I'd buy. Maybe even twice that.

But the truth is that the LHS prices are way higher than online prices. Plus my LHS holds a shockingly bad number of LSP's in stock. Tons of Airfix 1/72 - with pain & brush included - a smattering of 1/48, loads tons of electric train sets and, for reasons that escape me, plenty of boat kits.

The last time I visited, there was a single 1/32, a Tamiya Mk.IX Spitfire. At £130, a good £50 more than on-line.