Review: Robin Koh 1/32 de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

Some of you may remember LSP member Robin Koh's scratch-build of a 1/32 Chipmunk. Robin has now turned that model into a resin kit, and I've just published my review of the fruits of his labours:

Robin Koh 1/32 de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk

1629-26.jpg

Enjoy!

Kev

Thank you Kev for a very fair, balanced and objective review of this great little aeroplane. Chippies hold a special place in my heart having flown in several as an Air Training Cadet back in the 1960s, also the first time I wore a parachute and experienced the "waddle" of walking with one on, so I'm definitely a candidate for the kit based on your review (special thanks for the pdf) and Robin's build here.
Max

Edited by mozart

I've just reviewed my review, so to speak, and was horrified to realise that I'd completely mistaken the supplied vinyl masks. It's obvious to me now that they are not in fact canopy masks, but rather, masks to allow the modeller to paint a white underlay beneath the main insignia decals. That's still a pretty nice touch, and arguably even more useful than canopy masks. I've amended my review to reflect this new realisation.

Kev

Thank Kevin for your time and support for writing this review.

As you can see this is evey much my way of scratch building, hope this can be accepted here and look forward to any comment. One small note is that I had insert rod in engine mounting,landing gear and engine cover hinges for strength.

As you know I had broke my right hand week ago, I hope can return to my work as soon as possible.

Cheers

Robin

Beautiful kit!  The Canadian version , as mentioned above; bubble canopy with a track on an extended dorsal fin, no gear fairings, landing lights under the wing were retractable, no anti-spin strakes on the fuselage, and the exhaust was larger diameter coming out of the cowling forward of the Brit style.

I certainly would love one of these kits but with Mother Nature messing up my hands and pharmaceuticals  messing up my vision, it is too late  for me.  This Old Dog can only dream of modelling  now.

Barney

Robin:  I have a contact looking for drawings of the CDN Chipmunk and hopefully they can be useful in producing a kit.  I'll let you know ASAP

Barney

Thanks Barney. From what I know other then the canopy,I seen photos of the Canadian Chipmunk with longer elevators and many different in engine and cockpit details.

As you can see from my design the windscreen and canopy can be replace without any changes to the fuslage moulding and the anti spin strakes can easily remove,but again I seen different bubble canopy.

Regards

Robin