Flying Legend 2016 - Duxford

Loic

Hi guys!

well, this time, this is going to happen, I will be in Duxford july 9th and 10 for the Flying Legend airshow.

I am looking at my travel details trying to find the best way to go there between train and aircraft.

Can anyone please help me as I am wondering if there is an easy way to go from stansted to Duxford and/or, in the case I travel by train, if there is a station nearby the airfield?

I have been to the airshow several time when I was leaving in east London but I used to drive there...

Also, if anyone can suggest a hotel close from the airfield? I remember I already asked this last year but I can not find the answers... and I finaly couldn't make it in 2015.

Thanks in advance !!

What MARU said, B&B in the UK is quite often better than a hotel room. Breakfast can be sensational, rooms

are mostly up to an excellent standard and reasonably priced. Go for it, you won't miss anything (and sometimes

the landlord pampers you to a good night sip at his private bar). I always go for B&B when travelling in the UK.

Lothar

Hi Loic!

There's a free shuttle service from Cambridge rail station to the Airshow, takes about 45 mins. If you haven't been there before I recommend a pre-airshow visit on friday, where you can be lucky to watch some test flights and preparation work without thousands of people around. The regular bus leaves from Drummer Street bus station , which is a 10 min walk from the rail station.

cheers

Chris

Two years ago, I got a train direct from London to Duxford station. No need to go to Cambridge. Trip was about 1.5 hours. It's about a 2 to 3km walk from the station up to the airfield. Quite nice as you walk to the sound of aircraft. Stayed in the Holiday Inn Express which is right next to the station. Pretty expensive though. Nice pub next door with cold beers to soothe a parched throat.

Edited by Mistral

I believe you are correct. But the station Whittlesford Parkway is as near as dammit to the airfield. That's the one I was referring to. Apologies for confusion calling it Duxford. Down here in Africa we tend to get a bit confused when traveling long distances....

I might be going..

yes, Whittlesford Parkway is the closest railway station. You approach it from the South if you are getting the train from Cambridge.

1) arrive at WP. Exit station on your left, and you are in a residential area. Go down Station Road West. Keep going until it turns into Royston Road. Keep going. You will find yourself in a country lane. Yu can hear the sound of the motorway on your left.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-13%20at%2015.41.

2)  at the end of Royston Road you find yourself on the A505 motorway - literally.  This isn't a residential area, and for quite a while you'll have to walk along the actual motorway itself, so be careful!

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-13%20at%2015.42.

Keep going along the motorway. You find yourself at the first small roundabout - keep going.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-13%20at%2015.42.

3)  you get to a much larger roundabout - keep going straight!

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-13%20at%2015.43.

4)  shortly after crossing this obstacle, you'll get to the museum. You should see the buildings, and in any case there will be planes flying in and out so it should be obvious.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-13%20at%2015.43.

I suggest you go in the first entrance on your left, where there is a car park and the reception building / gift shop .  You can buy a ticket, and exit through the gift shop. Then you turn right out of the gift shop and you are at the end of the airfield - the opposite end to the American museum.