Help with bending wood

The standard approach to getting wood to conform to complex shapes is to steam it , in boat building the wood is placed in a large "kettle", with it immersed in steam for hours until it softens, and becomes flexible, without becoming waterlogged ...

I'm sure you could adopt this method using a normal kettle and simply holding the piece in the steam....

Scotsman has it right. If you can find a small steamer that usually sells to the travel crowd for de-wrinkling clothes, it will work. I myself used a espresso machine steamer tube to bend the ribs when I built the 1/8th scale Sopwith Camel. Another method is to soak the rib material in a tall glass of water and then bend it with the help of a hair dryer. good luck with your build. Don't worry if you break the rib material, you have plenty of extra material.

Amonia works the best for bending wood so it stays bent. It causes the cells in the wood to expand, then evaporates leaving the cells expanded (with water & steam methods, the cells will shrink during evaporation).

Apply the amonia to the surface of the wood on the outside of the curve, and bend it to shape.

HTH,

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hiyal

Thank you for your advise on bending wood.

What Dad and me have done is use your ideas and made a wooden block that is the shape of the ribs and used a hinge so it does not move when the wett wood is clamped Then it is dried in the oven :)

I will show some photos when I can.

I am buzy with school work at the moment and have done a little bit on the Triplane.

From Daniel