ScanmanDan

1/48 ACE Flak 38 20mm w/trailer

Just got this one ready for paint shop this morning.  Nice little kit let down somewhat by very basic instructions.

Wheels kept separate to make it easier to paint.

flak%2038%2004.jpg

flak%2038%2005.jpg

Trailer works as full size - pull a pin and the trailer drops away, very cool and over engineered in that special german way ;)

flak%2038%2006.jpg

flak%2038%2007.jpg

I should have some fun painting this one.

Plan is to have it towed behind my Bedford.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress in 1/6th scale - Too cool for school!

Funny thing is I used pictures of the 1/6th scale builds to figure out how all the parts of the gun went together after the instructions to the kit left me baffled. :D

Now I just have to figure out how to hold this tiny thing so I can paint it.  the whole lots not much bigger than a Tamiya paint jar and there are not many hidden spots.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

While I'm mucking' about with some cleaning up I thought I'd push this one along.  I've worked out the idea for a little base that needed a small tree.  I started knocking one up from bits I have had around the shop.  I am trying one of those paper foliage sets which I think I might be able to get attached in something a little less than a zillion hours.  I am posting my progress after about 5 hours of work getting the trunk bashed and starting to glue on the foliage.  I have learn a bit and know what I'd do different next time, but I think it's coming out okay.  What do you think?

Progress;

Checking the height. ;)

flak%2038%2009-L.jpg

flak%2038%2008-L.jpg

If my eyes don't burn out I'll get the rest of the foliage on tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Thanks Kevin and yes you do need to get that Flak of yours finished because it's a freaking good model that deserves to be completed.  I'd love to see you get it all painted up.  Just don't mention my Pak36 'cause I'll just start blubbing ;) .

Gaz, thanks :)  I think that as a proof of concept it is getting there.  I have the materials worked out I just need to go and look at some real trees because I really mucked up the armature.  I am delighted to find out that you can edge glue these little leaf bits to a vertical surface with some careful mucking about.  Next time my armature will have much more verticality.

Progress?

flak%2038%2010-L.jpg

flak%2038%2011-L.jpg

I need to add some more leaves, especially ones above and below the plane of the branches.  That's why I always like to try new things.  To find out what NOT to do.

Thanks for dropping in for a look.

Dan

Progress;

flak%2038%2012-L.jpg

flak%2038%2014-L.jpg

flak%2038%2013-L.jpg

Last couple of days getting the base knocked into some kind of shape.  All those tiny little bits of cork were driving me nuts in the end.  I do think it might just look okay once I get some paint on it.  I am working out what to add to this scene but at the very least it looks somewhat like what I had envisaged before I started.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan