56 squadron Hurricane I (Revell)

mozart

OK, so the main construction on the Typhoon is complete and she'll be moving to the paintshop shortly, so I've resurrected a Hurricane Mk I (thanks for moving it from the WIP section Kev) that I started last January, a few bits for you all to wade through first including some fantastic footage of 56 squadron Hurricanes from the Battle of Britain, thanks Steve. Pictures of today's progress (17.11.16) tomorrow:

January 2016: I've got a bit of a 56 squadron vibe going at the moment and I'm so enjoying my Spitfire build so I've decided on another "first" for me, a Hurricane. I'm using Revell's ancient 1/32nd scale offering with a few after-market bits and pieces to pep things up a little. I'm not sure which specific aircraft I'm doing, still researching, but it will be from the July/August 1940 period:

DSCN9543_zps1guic9ay.jpg

DSCN9544_zpswp8yrq9w.jpg

Grey Matters AM parts and vacuform canopy:

DSCN9545_zps0h2mpde4.jpg

DSCN9546_zpska7sr3hu.jpg

Max

Edited by mozart

Hi Max!

Good choice that man! I have a huge soft spot for 56 Squadron myself and have Geoffrey Page's Hurricane in the "to do" pile.

You might want a look at this...

Filmed at Rochford in mid/late August 1940 (I was an ATC cadet there in the early 1980's), there is some great footage of 56 Squadron to be had here. (There's some 65 Squadron Spits in there too!)

Best regards;
Steve

PS: Really sorry! Only just saw your PM about the kind offer of the Archer rivets! Will respond asap!!

Edited by fightersweep

Guest Peterpools

Max

Fantastic project and will be following with great interest as it is a build I have been thinking about for years.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Max!

Good choice that man! I have a huge soft spot for 56 Squadron myself and have Geoffrey Page's Hurricane in the "to do" pile.

You might want a look at this...

Filmed at Rochford in mid/late August 1940 (I was an ATC cadet there in the early 1980's), there is some great footage of 56 Squadron to be had here. (There's some 65 Squadron Spits in there too!)

Best regards;

Steve

PS: Really sorry! Only just saw your PM about the kind offer of the Archer rivets! Will respond asap!!

Well I clicked on the "Like this" button Steve, but I don't......I absolutely LOVE it!  So many great shots, I've been through it many times already and been busy taking screen shots of the close ups, thank you so much for posting the link, fantastic! :)  The Archer rivets are still available if you need them.

aha you're cheating on your spit as well!

:P

Love these old revell kits Max.

Yes, I'm a tart as well Shawn, story of my life (in the nicest possible sense of course!).  The older kits are an interesting challenge which I love.  I want to build a Tamiya "supreme" kit OOB like the Spitfire IX and Mosquito, I now have both in the stash, but I can't quite bring myself to start either!  Must be the masochist in me.

Max

Fantastic project and will be following with great interest as it is a build I have been thinking about for years.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter.....it's actually part of an STGB over on Britmodeller starting on 31st Jan so I'm just doing a bit of tidying up and getting familiar with the kit and some research right now.  More soon though. :)

Max

Edited by mozart

Great choice the old Revell Hurricane may be basic but it does build up nicely with some assistance from some resin, I built one some time ago and it was an enjoyable build here's a link to my build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37896-revell-hawker-hurricane-mk-1/

In fact I've just ordered a vac canopy from Grey matter figures for a Hurricane for future use.

Cheers

Dennis

Looking forward to this! :punk:

Tim

I hope I can do justice to your beautiful delicate resin bits Tim!

Great choice the old Revell Hurricane may be basic but it does build up nicely with some assistance from some resin, I built one some time ago and it was an enjoyable build here's a link to my build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37896-revell-hawker-hurricane-mk-1/

In fact I've just ordered a vac canopy from Grey matter figures for a Hurricane for future use.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Den, it's always good to have reference pictures and thoughts.  Did you sand your wings smooth, mine have hundreds of raised rivets on them as well as panel lines.

Max

I hope I can do justice to your beautiful delicate resin bits Tim!

Thanks Den, it's always good to have reference pictures and thoughts.  Did you sand your wings smooth, mine have hundreds of raised rivets on them as well as panel lines.

Max

Hi Max, the wings on mine were sanded smooth and rescribed, it's something that I like doing however the Hurricane wings in reality were covered in rivets so I would not worry too much, and the panel lines seem to be in the right place.

Cheers

Dennis

Well I clicked on the "Like this" button Steve, but I don't......I absolutely LOVE it!  So many great shots, I've been through it many times already and been busy taking screen shots of the close ups, thank you so much for posting the link, fantastic! :)  The Archer rivets are still available if you need them.

Max

Hi Max;

Glad you LOVED the film! It's a gem, and I love it because being an ex Southend lad, I have a huge soft spot for Rochford aerodrome and it's history. This footage has, for years, been credited with being filmed at North Weald, but it is most certainly Rochford as even some of the houses in the background have remained almost unchanged. Also visible is Warners Bridge and the chimney of the old EKCO factory.

I posted the video over on the Flypast forum, and they have begun to put names to faces such as Maurice Mounsdon and "Jumbo" Gracie. The date range is August 12th to 21st 1940 as Geoffrey Page was shot down in US-X on the 12th (The one in the film is a different US-X not Page's "Wee Willie") and someone pointed out that the first Hurricane seen in the film was lost on the 21st.  All in all, fascinating stuff!

I will follow your build closely and look forward to your choice of markings...how about P3153 US-U cheerily called "Euthanasia"??

Thanks for the kind offer on the rivets...I'll PM my details...but would like to send something in return.

Best regards;

Steve

Don't worry about "paying" in any way for the rivets Steve, it's all part of the fellowship of modeller's! :)  Below are a couple of extracts from the ORBs for 56 sqdn for a couple of days during August 1940, not exactly full of detail and sadly, though listing the serial numbers of aircraft, not the individual code letter.  I'm trying to match one or two as possible subjects for my build.  Sgt Baker died in N2667 shortly after this entry while on convoy patrol.  Also a couple of screenshots from that wonderful piece of Pathe News.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2020.41.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2020.40.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2015.03.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2015.01.
There's P3153 flown by F/O Brooker, see the first ORB sheet.

Max
Edited by mozart