Revell Spitfire Mk.Ia and Mk.IIa Joint build - FINISHED

Shoggz

Hello everyone.

This is my first post of a 'work in progress' nature, so go easy on me! :innocent:

To get my 'eye in' so to speak before I dived into the LSP pool, I made half a dozen 1/48 scale kits - a mixture of Airfix, Eduard and Tamiya.

Here are the Eduard Mk.IX and the Tamiya P-51D

B02D2778-60E1-4903-86F8-971342DF69B4_zps

By no means perfect, but useful practise to get me going!

My chosen subject for my first 1/32 build was the new Revell Spitfire. I have a long term aspiration to build as many marks of Spit in 1/32 as I possibly can, and a secondary desire to make a model of as many of the existing flying Spitfires in the UK as I can.. so this group build was an opportunity to get started on both ambitions!

The Mk.Ia I am going to build is X4650 of No.54 squadron, marked KL-A which is based at Duxford.

It (like many of the other flying Spits) has a fascinating history:

http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/spitaw.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/battle-of-britain/7908245/Forgotten-Spitfire-will-fly-again-after-major-restoration.html

I bought the Eagle Cals EC#157 set of decals, which includes X4650's more famous squadron mate N3183 KL-B flown by Al Deere and I will modify them to suit (somehow!)

For the Mk.IIa I am building P8088 NK-K which does have its own actual decals on EC#158, so no modification required there!

I built the 'old' Airfix 1/48 version of this as part of my 'training'!

17FD6933-8542-47DD-9D52-EBCB342CE410_zps

I've bought a ton of aftermarket stuff to be used across the two builds.

I filled my boots the last time Barracudacals had a sale and were offering free shipping to the tune of:

Seat with backpad BR32172

Wing correction set BR32175

Five slot mainwheels BR32176

Cockpit upgrade set BR32174

Replacement door with no crowbar BR32173

I also bought from EagleParts:

Their resin Rotol Spinner and replacement prop blades EP #70-32

Corrected oil cooler EP #71-32

Plus 

CMK Quick & Easy replacement seat with harness Q32 230

HGW Spitfire Mk.II Seatbelts 132548 

Brassin Spitfire Mk.I/II replacement wheels 632 038

2x Eduard Spitfire Mk.II mask sets JX168

Quickboost replacement exhaust set QB 32 168

Pavla models Spitfire door U 32-02

Eduard coloured PE cockpit interior set - 33138 which includes seat belts

And my favourite so far:

The Yahu Models instrument panel YMA3201 which is really lovely.

A lot of AM! But it gives me the opportunity to try a number of the different manufacturers for myself and see what they are like across the two builds.

Here's the Hannants page for this model, which lists all the AM they stock for it - a useful resource 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV3986

Right, off I go then!

You've nothing to worry about Shoggz if your Mustang and Spitfire in 1/48th are anything to go by.  Do keep us updated on your feelings about the AM stuff....we all love the Yahu IP but there's some other bits there that I've not seen let alone used.  Your experience will be invaluable......so crack on! :)

Max

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a bit of a nightmare with the Barracuda resin seats.. :(

I struggled to remove the first one I had from its casting block and ended up inadvertantly breaking off one of the mounting lugs on the back..

Ordered another one from Hannants and then prompty did exactly the same thing to the replacment!

I'm now deciding what to do with them... I definitely don't want to use the kit seats as they are not in any way accurate and miss the 'armour plating' from the back.

Will keep you posted!

[edited for spelling mistooks!]

Edited by Shoggz

I've been having a bit of a nightmare with the Barracuda resin seats.. :(

I struggled to remove the first one I had from its casting block and ended up inadvertantly breaking off one of the mounting lugs on the back..

Ordered another one from Hannants and then prompty did exactly the same thing to the replacment!

I'm now deciding what to do with them... I definitely don't want to use the kit seats as they are not in any way accurate and miss the 'armour plating' from the back.

Will keep you posted!

[edited for spelling mistooks!]

I've got the T shirt as well, I have broken a few pieces off and had to use CA or CA and scrap plastic for repairs.

Cheers

Dennis