Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Bubble Jug 1/23/16

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thank You Chuck, much appreciated

I normally shy away from closeups when doing RFI photos as I like to show the overall model in all her glory. I'll take some close ups this week and post them.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

MIkester

Thank you so much. Over the past year I've really started getting into NMF's and it's no secret my preference has always leaned to well maintained aircraft.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Much appreciated Jim.

Te F4 is safe and sound and I'll be getting back to finishing the Toom after a few other projects. I do seem to jump around these days but it helps keep the juices flowing

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt

I was a bit leery of how Tamiya's checkerboard decals would conform to the the cowl but with a bit of nudging, no problems at all. The Big Stars and Bars under the wings were the hardest decals to work into place and needed MR Setter and Softer.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Maru

So very much appreciated. Just seems there isn't anything a Tamiya kit for for detail and fit. As of late, I've been finding alternating scales with each build help keep the enthusiasm for the next build at a high level and it's a nice change of pace.

Peter

Pete,

I'm not a real big fan of painted metal especially Alclad - as even the best painted ones have "Alclad dust" on them. The strange unevenness that it creates. I can't really explain it but you know what I mean. This AK looks the business though, which colors do you suggest to get, there are just too many!

Again this looks awesome, no alclad dust to be seen.

Thanks my brother.

Justin

Guest Peterpools

Hi Justin

I've always enjoyed Alclad and luckily, haven't had the problems associated with the system. but do prefer AK'd Extreme Metal.  AK Extreme Metals seem to tolerate handling better, aren't as finicky to air brush working pressure and flow on very smoothly. I always prime first with MIG Gray Primer, which for me goes down super smooth. Next up I use either AK Black Base, Alclad Black Gloss Base or Tamiya Gloss Black . I seem to prefer AK black base as it is not overly glossy but just as smooth. If order is a problem, go with Tamiya Gloss Black. from here, I just flow on the AK between 12-18 psi and never noticed a difference. Takes a few seconds and smooth as silk.

The colors I started with:

Aluminum

Polished Aluminum

DuraAluminuim

Dark aluminum

Burnt Metal

before purchasing your AK Extreme Metals, contact the vendor to make sure they are not selling the early release of the product which had problems and were replaced. I wound up with a few bottle, contact Fernando at AK and new paints were sent, no questions asked. I wouod assume by now all the origiunal product has been replaced but you never know.

Peter