I'm In!

I like weathering my builds, some get more than others. Your Spit looks so good like it is would almost be a shame to weather it. I couldn't weather mine beyond a panel line wash and oil stains, just didn't want to hide that fantastic shape. It'll be great no matter what you do.

Don

Stencil decals added. Chipping added to wing roots and leading inner edge of the wings with sponge dipped in aluminum paint...initial exhaust and gun stains light added using an airbrush. I think the chipping is a bit overdone, but it will get kicked down a bit after a flat coat....and I'll build up more soot with pastels later, but I'm satisfied with how things are going so far. I might even finish this one...I'm experimenting with washes and the acrylic based washes seem to stain the paint, so I'll pass. Tamiya's seem to give me the best results, but heck, I just can't stand the smell of it for some reason. My oil-based one's too seem to stain the paint as well. I'm hoping the Flory washes I ordered lives up to my expectations -- this based on what I've read here and on other sites!

kV8qx6n.jpg

I can't wait for the Flory Washes to arrive (not sure if it's even shipped all the way from Europe)..

Before:

WwAM6PJ.jpg

After:

xX41b3K.jpg

It's a mix of the Tamiya Black/Brown, but I think I'll go repeat with the grey added to the wash for a second pass. I dunno..it definitely bring out the detail, but I'm not sure if it's really all that realistic...now I need some fresh air!!

Also attached the bullet-proof windscreen -- HORRIBLE fit that required putty and some re-paint. Still too much of a step, but at least there's no gaps now!

On light colors, a dark wash does look a little stark, adding grey to it will lighten it a bit. I used to make my own wash using Tamiya acrylic black and brown at 1:1 mix into water making a thin wash. I added a drop or two of liquid dishwashing soap so the excess wash could be wiped off the build  easily with a damp cloth or paper towel.

Don

I use Future as my gloss-coat. These acrylic based washes tend to stain the paint because it eats through the Future. I had a test model with the Future applied more than 4 days ago and the acrylic washes would still stain it. Would love to use acrylics, I just can stand the smell of enamel, mineral spirits, lacquer, turps! Upper surfaces with the same wash looks just right!

I hear you about Future being attacked by acrylic, was the reason why i never stayed with Future. Florys is water based, you'll be good to go. Build is looking good!! Are you going to do exhaust staining?

Don

Thanks guys..My niece likes it, too (I will keep it away from her for now). Don, I did build up some exhaust and gun stains, but they're not very visible because it's very subtle and somewhat masked due to the decal on the port side. I'll follow up with some pastel to accentuate it more after the flat coat. I like Future and I'll probably keep using it (and I have lifetime supply, LOL).

That looks really great Shaka. You've really got a handle on using masks now. Plus, you even got the colour of the beer accurately too, with just that perfect amount of foam :P

The Spitfire looks great too.

I usually end up using enamel washes since I primarily paint with acrylics. Even there though you have to be careful as some plastics become extremely brittle after an enamel based wash.

Carl