I'm In!

You know I'm not sure TBH....someone here posted some pictures of what is a restored Spitfire and I thought: "Well, that looks really nice". Until I discovered it's an actual Spitfire. So I thought I do something to add some "dimension". Not exactly, "weathering" like how I see some folks here do (and I am completely awed by their execution), but I feel it needs something? When I get confused with a real Spitfire for a model, I'll definitely need to do something to make a model look more real.

I added some nicks/chips/highlights to the IP with a graphite pencil...not sure if it looks OK, but whatever...I'm experimenting a little.

PAKtEUE.jpg

I sometimes do a dark base coat in my cockpits, usually German aircraft which have an RLM66 finish and then spray the top coat from above at a constant angle. This creates a "shadow" which gives depth to the cockpit.

[..Pict Link Removed..]

Max

I like that..I might have to "borrow" that idea!

Edited by Shaka HI

More color coats...waiting for it to dry for detail brush painting. Experimenting with the exhaust a bit....

Vne9Ivx.jpg

No plans to add paint the "NMF" stuff in the interior, but looks like it's fairly visible. LHS did not have AS12, so I used what ever "Aluminum" paint I had which kinda sucks, but it's barely visible...

I think I spent more time cleaning the AB after the silver compared to masking/painting this "colour".

kXfKiaA.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

Neat progress Shaka.

Major Engine components assembled/painted...this is a lot of fun, I hope I don't lose any steam...I'll need to somehow add some dept/interest to all that black!

Black can be a challenge to bring depth to. Many modellers choose a dark grey as a base and work back up to black. Because scale can help with the illusion, dark grey can still look like black.

If you were to airbrush a very dark grey over the black but spray it from the top down it would automatically create natural shading. The top of the rocker covers would be pretty much dark grey but the undercuts would remain black and accentute the shadow effect. Use a thin wash of black all over to re-instate the detail then a final subtle dry-brush of very dark grey to make the highlights "pop". Some guys even dry-brush with a light grey or white which really gives an artistic, high contrast effect. A bit of experimentation should give you a chance to see what you prefer.

HTH

Cheers.

Neat progress Shaka.

Black can be a challenge to bring depth to. Many modellers choose a dark grey as a base and work back up to black. Because scale can help with the illusion, dark grey can still look like black.

If you were to airbrush a very dark grey over the black but spray it from the top down it would automatically create natural shading. The top of the rocker covers would be pretty much dark grey but the undercuts would remain black and accentute the shadow effect. Use a thin wash of black all over to re-instate the detail then a final subtle dry-brush of very dark grey to make the highlights "pop". Some guys even dry-brush with a light grey or white which really gives an artistic, high contrast effect. A bit of experimentation should give you a chance to see what you prefer.

HTH

Cheers.

All very sound advice!

Max

Neat progress Shaka.

HTH

Cheers.

Tried to mist a thin dark grey which definitely looks better (top-down)  -- scale-wise. I should follow up with some black washes and dry brushing to get some detail out. It does look better, just harder to convey through photography...Thanks for the ideas (even if my execution is lacking).

2qftrGV.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

Apologies for the rather weak/frequent progress updates, but it does keep me motivated. Detailed painting with a fine brush (love this brush, not sure where I got it!) for the cockpit with Tamiya acrylics thinned with their own thinner with a drop of Liquitex Flow-Aid. I"m also experimenting with a tinted Future used as a wash, it's very subtle, but a flat coat will be required to fully see any effect -- if any.

jvIYUzz.jpg