1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Evening all,

Time for another update for you - it's the last day of my Easter holidays and I return to work tomorrow so things may well slow a little for a while, but I've made the most of the few days of freedom...

I've been working on the stabilisers and after the last update I sparred them internally and glued them together. The area where I'd increased the chord was filled with plastic card to bring the gap up to the level of the rest of the aerofoil, and this was then filled and sanded smooth to blend everything in. Lastly, I made some hinges for the elevators from Evergreen plastic strip.

It was then a case of consulting the plans carefully to establish where the stabilisers are situated, and this was a case of measure thrice, cut once, before I inserted a spar from thick left over sprue:

26374586995_f20541baab_c.jpg

The completed stabilisers were then test-fitted:

26282246962_f5d6e996af_c.jpg

And with some careful trimming the fit is quite satisfactory - only a quick lick of filler will be required:

26374585825_b6624ec894_c.jpg

On the underside you can also see where I've done a little re-shaping of the underside as I wasn't happy with the shape:

26282248782_971cc08156_c.jpg

I've also started adding the upper escape hatches on the top of the fuselage:

26348690576_07d6242a81_c.jpg

As well as making the lower radome aperture on the lower fuselage behind the bomb bay:

26308376811_ecc74d8a5d_c.jpg

Speaking of radomes - this chunk of resin has arrived:

26101751730_79be87ef9e_c.jpg

Yup... I'm going to complete this project as an AEW.2, my favourite of the breed.

So, with the elevators added it's certainly starting to look like a Shackleton... which is a bonus I suppose

26101754050_b01bd956bb_c.jpg

I'm off to fill the stabiliser to fuselage join now, so cheerio for now.

Tom

Time for bed, said (insert name of appropriate MR character here).

That'll likely confuse many - both our foreign colleagues and the young! But all will be revealed in time, I'm sure.

The model's looking good - there's definitely some unmistakable Shacketiness peeping out of the work so far, and interesting to see the differences to the Lancaster.

Absolutely amazing work Tom.........are you sure you cant persuade your employer to give you more time off (paid of coarse)  as it seems a shame for work to get in the way of this!!

Regards. Andy

If only, Andy... I'll ask tomorrow and see what the guv'nor says.

Only another half a million rivets to go.

Florence, Dougal, Dillon, Ermatrude , Brian and Zebedee, (who have I forgot? ) M.R.

I'm sure there's a few more... as I progress with this build I'll make a decision as to which character will adorn the nose so will keep you posted.

Something had been bugging me about the overall look of the fuselage, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The shape is right (according to the plans anyway) but something looked out. Then it occurred to me what I'd done whilst looking at pictures of the real AEW2s... the windows I'd made in the fuselage were too high and out of position... it was throwing the whole look of the fuselage. So, it was out with some plastic card last night, and I filled in the original windows and will now make new ones, which will hopefully solve the problem. More updates soon...

Tom