1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Tom,

Being somewhat of a newbie on LSP, I've only come across your incredible build over the last few days. I've spent a good deal of non-work time reading through this truly one of a kind scratch build blog of the Avro Shackleton AEW2. Honestly, I've never seen anything quite like this. Both your incredible skills and the massive size of the Shackleton is one for the books. I'm sure that more then one museum would be proud to display your master piece so that the public can enjoy it as well.

Joel

Tom,

Being somewhat of a newbie on LSP, I've only come across your incredible build over the last few days. I've spent a good deal of non-work time reading through this truly one of a kind scratch build blog of the Avro Shackleton AEW2. Honestly, I've never seen anything quite like this. Both your incredible skills and the massive size of the Shackleton is one for the books. I'm sure that more then one museum would be proud to display your master piece so that the public can enjoy it as well.

Joel

Joel, prepare to be amazed (again).

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/?act=filter&field=author&data=Tom+Probert

• 2 months later...

Evening all  :)

It's been a while since any kind of update on this project, but life and a general lack of motivation for it has got in the way over the last few months.

However, I have been doing a bit of work on the outboard engine nacelles...

The first task was to establish exactly where the outer engines were on the outer wing sections. I used a combination of my plans as well as scaling up the Airfix 1/72nd scale kit's measurements, and then made the firewalls from 1.5mm plastic card - these were stuck to a 'spine' which was cut to the profile of the nacelle which was in turn stuck to the underside of the wing. Confused? May be the following pictures will explain in better...

Here are the firewalls in position on the leading edges of the wing:

6ClJ47k.jpg?1

bvg0Jx1.jpg?1

With the firewall and spine on the correct position, I could then begin to build up the basic shape of the nacelle with bulkheads (or formers) which again were checked against the plans I have as well as the Airfix kit to ensure the shape was correct:

S3AwWhd.jpg?1

nrugUb4.jpg?1

With the shape of the nacelle sorted, I then began planking the formers with 2-3mm wide strips of plastic card:

TvbTGJO.jpg?1

The extreme rear of the nacelle has a too-steep profile for the planks, so this was made from Milliput and wet-sanded to shape without too much of a headache:

yKxXH9N.jpg?1

And now we have an outboard engine nacelle completed:

nGLn9fZ.jpg?1

As you can see from the pictures, the surface is far from smooth. This won't be a problem though, as when the glue is properly cured (and thus there's no more movement in the plastic as it dries) it'll get a coat of car body filler and a thorough sanding, before a few coats of filler primer will be sprayed on to finish the job.

Now one nacelle is done, I've got to get cracking with the other. The thought of cutting a load more planks doesn't instill me with joy however, but I keep telling myself it's the last of the main structural work on this project, and then it can be the fun detailing of the airframe.

Until next time,

Tom

Tom,

I've read though each of those 1/32 scale massive builds, and I'm truly amazed. The B-29 must be mammoth in scope and size. So just where do you keep them once their completed?

You, like Ben, make scratch building look easy. But for guys like me who are mostly OOB builders, I'm simply amazed at what you're able to create. Sure hope that the Mojo is back, and you're once again back at your bench.

Joel

Clear on one?

One clear

CLEAR!

{number one engine whines, coughs and roars to life}

Now all you need is an army of ground personnel to stand around it....you know, for scale

Love the build sir, and am following with enthusiasm  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn: